cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fatal error:Remote I/O error

Tensulp
Grafter

Fatal error:Remote I/O error

I am using IMAP for email with plusnet and this morning my email client (Windows Mail) keeps downloading my inbox contents over and over whilst displaying the error message
Your IMAP server wishes to alert you to the following: Fatal error:Remote I/O error
Does anyone else have this problem and is this an issue at my end or Plusnets end.
8 REPLIES 8
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Fatal error:Remote I/O error

My Plusnet Webmail (which uses IMAP) was having problems connecting  / displaying messages around this time so probably caused by a mail server issue. I'm seeing emails again so try again.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Looks like an IMAP server error.
I'm getting username / password is incorrect on several platforms.  Earlier i got a message to say that a lot of emails were being downloaded, which I already had.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've got a similar, if not the same problem.  
First on my iPhone (connecting via IMAP), the list of messages in my Inbox kept being empty then loading the list, then empty again, then loading the list, then empty again.  There were also a couple of messages at the top of the list I caught a glimpse of where the sender was something like "System Administrator", the subject something like "Message unavailable", but the first line of content that I could see in my message list suggested that it was from a real person, a friend of mine.
Second on my MacBook Pro (OS X 10.8.5) using Apple's Mail app, (connecting via IMAP), the list of messages in my inbox was empty when I know there are many messages in it.
Thirdly Webmail showed an empty mail box (though I know there are many messages in it), then the session timed out, then logging in again gave an IMAP connection error and failed to login.
I'm currently on the phone to Plusnet - the auto-message said to expect a 15 minute wait to speak to someone.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I've PM'd one of the DCT team requesting that a service status update be posted on the service status page, support phone line - to save people waiting - and here.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Looks like t could be fixed now - at least I am not getting username / password errors any more.

snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Agreed - all seems to be working again now.
The CSC agent I spoke to said they'd been having problems with their systems for broadband AND email today, but that now it's started working again it should be OK.  (The error disappeared the instance the agent logged in to my webmail!)
I note that the recent service status message from today doesn't mention email problems, just
not being able to access websites or use other internet based services.
Tensulp
Grafter

Yep, looks like its sorted.
I had just changed to a new router and didnt know if it was my new router that was having the issue so glad to see that others had the same problem and glad to see its fixed.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Update from DCT...
DCT have raised Problem: 79827 - this is in relation to the IMAP Issues and the Webmail timeouts which appear to be intermittent.
This and the other webmail problem are being closely monitored by our Networks Investigation Team.
I'm sure you can appreciate, we're a very busy bunch at the moment so apologies if we're playing catch up on the Forums.