Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False rejection of valid sender domain

TYN
Dabbler

Re: False rejection of valid sender domain

Thanks for your comments @MJN.

I'm with HSBC and I'm one of those that like thier option to send pdf files every quarter instead of paper every month. I have still have online access to my account. 

Im confident the problem is related.  

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Another one tonight sending email in to my brother (also a PN user).

host mx.avasin.plus.net [212.159.9.200]
    SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM
Kwak
Rising Star

This seems to be part of an ongoiing problem with their email servers and domains that they know about, have known about for a while, and are not fixing Sad
MartinC
Dabbler

I am not to sure about all the tehnical postings but I have just discovered that an email correctly addressed to me was returned to the sender as undelivered . The reason on a sheet headed "Roundcube" (who are they??) stated the senders address "did not exist". A bit odd as they returned the email to a perfectly valid address. I have a very long page of Roundcube sheet that the sender received, full of unintelligible codes which ends "Due to administrative limits only headers are returned" I dread to think how long it would be otherwise!

I am happy to post a copy if it would help but would like advice as to what if anything I should redact before posting on a public site.

Kwak
Rising Star

It is very probably the same problem. It randomly affects both sending of mail (which is kind of something you can live with if you can just send again) and incoming mail (which means it bounces which could mean emails are missed). Something is happening when their mail servers does the check that a domain looks valid that means it randomly says "no" for a good address, when checked just seconds before or after it says "yes". Until they fix is surely they can disable the check? Looking back at the "550" error thread this has been a problem since 22/11, that's more than 2 months!!!

When I get spam they just use a valid address or domain anyway from the databases they have of email addresses anyway, the test seems pretty much worthless but is causing their customers grief.

thunderbird6
Grafter

Check the year on the first posts - it's been over 14 months!!!

Kwak
Rising Star

Given we know spammers just slip in valid email addresses or mix up domains and names etc, how much actual good is this test doing? Serious question. I can't remember ever getting a spam from "erwtuvsdfsdfasdfuwehvsdg.com" or anything.

Is it the "Human appendix" of email tests - pretty much pointless and now diseased and causing issues?

If it's not actually doing much useful, and they can't fix it, and it's harming the entire system, remove it.

Plusnet customers may be. .. actually given the statistics actually MUST be, missing important emails due to this.

thunderbird6
Grafter

I entirely agree. I'm sure the plusnet (and waitrose, globalnet, etc.) mail account holders would much rather have the risk of an occasional extra mail in their spam folder than to be completely unaware that they are failing to receive legitimate mail.

Certainly as a sender of mail to plusnet addresses I would rather not be regularly lambasted for supposedly failing to respond to their emailed questions when they have had answers sent out within minutes!

TYN
Dabbler

As of last week (31 Jan 2019) I can no longer recieve or send any emails whatsoever. Communications within my domain are fine but all external, even the ones that used to worked are gone.

"<abc@ucl.ac.uk> (relay.plus.net: 550 <abc@ligali.org> sender
 rejected - invalid domain (no MX or A record))
"

People have told me they have sent emails and not recieved undelivered responses. I have missed some important messages. How do I escalate my complaint over this problem?

Its been over a year and I need a solution.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @TYN

Thanks for getting in touch. As much as I appreciate your frustration regarding this problem, I'm afraid I can't add anything that hasn't already been said by my colleagues - we are aware of this issue and everything that can be done is currently being done to try to resolve it - this is already flagged as a priority issue and has been escalated internally accordingly.

As soon as we know more, we'll let you know.

Best wishes

Dave

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

@TYN, is ligali.org the actual domain here or have you changed it for the purpose of your post?  The reason I as is because it doesn't actually have a MX, so that error would be correct.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Kwak
Rising Star

He's right, if  this tool is correct:

https://mxtoolbox.com/

says it doesn't exist.

Though DNS lookup seems to work (??) but .. something not plusnet appears to be wrong in this case.

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Whilst ligali.org might not have an MX record it does have an A record hence, taking the reason for rejection literally, means it should have been fine.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If it is his own domain, why doesn't he have the mail hosted elsewhere. That could be up and running within a day, have options not offered by Plusnet (e.g. secure mail) and be more reliable than the Plusnet service. It would also mean he could change ISP at any time without impacting his email.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
TYN
Dabbler

@pjmarsh

It is the domain name, but it doesn't include the mail server/host name.The full fqdn has an MX record.