Did you mean: 

False rejection of valid sender domain

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Re: False rejection of valid sender domain

@Silanthril,

It was mentioned previously in this thread, but there is a currently open problem regarding this matter. 

I know it's unfortunate but the support staff are unable to fix this issue it has to be a network engineer. It's been raised with them for sometime and they are trying to actively fix the issue. I've added the example you provided on your open ticket today, but I will warn you this isn't something that's going to get fixed in the next couple of days.

Silanthril
Dabbler

Thanks Joe.

Whilst I appreciate that there is no simple fix, I find it staggering that it has taken over a month so far and appears to be a recurring issue.

I have lost very important mortgage emails that were time sensitive.

Plusnet are still happy to take my money, but only provide part of a service.

Thanks

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

If only it were only a month... I started this thread over a year ago!
thunderbird6
Grafter

Check the beginning of the thread - this was first reported to Plusnet in November LAST YEAR - it is almost 13 months now and there has been no improvement whatsoever in the problem, just the occasional report that 'it is being worked on'

John_E

I've just had this issue arise for the first time this morning. 

Attempting to send email using Plusnet broadband connection to the Plusnet SMTP server, using an email address on a personal domain which has been registered for 18 years with a reputable registrar. 

The outgoing email was rejected by relay.plus.net a few times with the message "sender rejected - invalid domain (no MX or A record)" message.

I found this thread which suggested it's a known intermittent issue; tried again and the email was apparently successfully sent.

I'm not impressed, providing a SMTP server is a crucial part of an ISP's service and this appears to have been a known problem for a long time!

Silanthril
Dabbler

Plusnet appear not to be taking this seriously at all. I have tried to escalate but all I do is hit a brick wall.

Ombudsman won't accept a complaint until 8 weeks after I originally raised my concerns, so it's at least another 4 week wait for me.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello  @Silanthril,

I can assure you that we are taking this issue very seriously and doing everything possible to get this resolved as quickly as possible.

However until we know the cause of the issue we are at an impasse. Please understand we are truly working to get this resolved.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
TYN
Dabbler

@SammyM

Thank you for responding. I hope what you say is true. I've been trying to get a solution from Plusnet for this problem for almost a year now. I have to use a backup email account  woth a diffrent provider to send stuff that bounces back and am still frequently being told that I am not getting everything that people send me. How can we escalete the problem so you get more resources to adressit?

Peace

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Please advise - does this affect INCOMING emails too? As suggested above.

I "lost" a very important email in October. My solicitor sent me my draft will but it didn't get to me. I just assumed he was being slow. He didn't receive a bounce back. I only realised in December. Good job I didn't die in the meantime!
TYN
Dabbler

@drj

In the main I would suggest no, people frequently tell me they have sent me stuff but often they have used the wrong address, or I find tings in the junk mail. But its difficult to know when you have not received an email if you didn know it was coming.

However when I'm replying to emails, the fact that there is a serious problem is incontrovertible. I cannot reply to anyone with a gmail or outlook/hotmail account period. My messages to some independent domains get through others not.

I usually forward any mail I receive to a university address I have and reply from there but of course this is hugely inconvenient.  And when fowarding to my university adressI sometimes have to send the email two or three times before it gets through. 😞

I hope this is helpful.

Peace

Silanthril
Dabbler

@drj absolutely it affects incoming mail, but most users get a bounce back email - error 550 sender unknown.

CyberPagan
Hooked

@SteveA wrote:

I've had no failures at my end since I moved away from relay.plus.net to the fixed IP - of course it now means that I'm relying on one specific server being available......

What would have been really useful here is for you to share which of the two IPs you're not having the issue with. I mean, I could sit here and try each one a few times to see which of the two doesn't bounce things.

Unless it's your plan to mention this but not tell people which IP to use so as to not risk breaking that with all the extra traffic?

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

@CyberPagan - I'd mentioned it in a previous post

"Postfix updated to use .8.107 rather than the host name."

I had another failure yesterday when sending email in:

host mx.avasin.plus.net [212.159.9.200]

TYN
Dabbler

Hi,

While I appreciate that the Plusnet team is taking this serious it has been over a year. How do I escalate my complaint so more resources are put into looking at the problem. My bank has now told me it cannot send me my statements as the emails it sends to me are being returned. The situation is beyond outrageous.

Is there an ombudsman I can make a formal complaint to? 

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Your bank *emails* you statements? If I were you I'd be glad they weren't getting through - standard email is a poor transport mechanism for anything sensitive. You would be better off logging in to online banking for such information.

Incidentally, are you sure the problem your bank are having is down to this particular issue? Whilst resolution of the problem discussed in this thread would be welcomed by all it is unlikely to help you and your bank if the symptoms they are seeing relate to another problem.