Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False rejection of valid sender domain

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: False rejection of valid sender domain

@Kelly Sorry I didn't make a note of which domains I was looking up, and times when the DNS timeouts occurred.

This "non-existant sender" problem has been going on for years, investigation starts but never concludes. for example post

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Plusnet-Email-servers-giving-random-SMTP-550-errors-for-inbound/...

lists examples from 2016

@spraxyt wrote on 20-12-2017 12:41 PM:

To expand on message 18 above (in the quoted topic):

@spraxyt wrote:

I have a collection of 291 "unknown sender domain" reject messages over period 11/02/2015 (when I started saving them) to 17/01/2017 (nearly 2 years). At this point the problem stopped until one instance on 21/09/2017 and two instances on 29.09.2017. None since, including from 7 mailings in November 2017.These are service status notices which are not sent through relay.plus.net. Mostly they are to Plusnet/Force9/Free-Online addresses, but at least one was to a 123-reg hosted mailbox.

The irony is that the bounce messages are sent using SMTP to the mailbox on the domain the message says doesn't exist. Of course it's not the failing connection that sends these. Funny 

In fact there were 16 of these messages rejected by various IPs in the mx0.123-reg.co.uk cluster over the period 10/07/2015 to 09/12/2016. The last date is shortly before the regular stream of rejects stopped in January 2017. The spread of dates is illustrated in the following image.NoSenderDomList.png

The reject message from the final instance on 09/12/2016 isNoSenderDomMsg.png

The main point here is that

• the Mail Sender Agent is the Usertools server, not the Plusnet relays
  • the MX rejecting the messages because of a non-existent sender domain is not a Plusnet avasin

However the sender address is a valid Plusnet email address which has an MX record. In fact the Non Delivery Report is sent successfully via SMTP to that same address.

I think the topic https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/False-rejection-of-valid-sender-domain/m-p/1492200#M21693 is also relevant to this problem. That topic shows the relay.plus.net cluster can also be mislead.

Is there hope of pursuing this to resolution?

David
thunderbird6
Grafter

Another 5 weeks have gone by and still no signs of a fix to this issue which was certainly still occuring last week. Come on Plusnet, give this some priority.

Keith

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

FYI, this is logged as IMT-74.

I'm just checking for an update on the investigation on this.  

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
TYN
Dabbler

Hi Is there any update on this situation?

I have had a horrendous time over the past few months with many of the emails I send being rejected with the error message:

"(relay.plus.net: 550 <[my name]@[my domain]> sender rejected - invalid domain (no MX or A record))"

I've contacted user services but not had much joy, I'd like a permanent fix to this problem please.

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

I just had this exact problem this evening....I have never seen it before.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I've gone to our incident management team asking for an update and I'll post back when I know more.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
TYN
Dabbler

Sadly I've had no response from Plusnet and the problem remains. I'm forced to use another email acount to send mail out.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Is this in anyway connected to this https://community.plus.net/t5/Service-Information/Intermittent-Outgoing-Mail-Issues/td-p/1545369/jum... ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

thunderbird6
Grafter

I doubt that there is any connection. The original topic of this thread relates to external mail to valid plusnet accounts being rejected with a message indicating that the (valid) senders domain does not exist. It doesn't relate to issues that plusnet users might have in sending outgoing messages.

Keith

SteveA
Pro

This thread is about email using non PN domains (for example mine) and when you try to relay through relay.plus.net it fails with:

<xxxx@mxxx.com>: host relay.plus.net[212.159.9.107] said: 550
    <xxx@tty.org.uk> sender rejected - invalid domain (no MX or A record) (in
    reply to MAIL FROM command)f

When the sender domain (tty.org.uk in my case) has an MX and and A record.

I've only had this happen once so far.

TYN
Dabbler

@SteveA wrote:

This thread is about email using non PN domains (for example mine) and when you try to relay through relay.plus.net it fails with:

<xxxx@mxxx.com>: host relay.plus.net[212.159.9.107] said: 550
    <xxx@tty.org.uk> sender rejected - invalid domain (no MX or A record) (in
    reply to MAIL FROM command)f

When the sender domain (tty.org.uk in my case) has an MX and and A record.

I've only had this happen once so far.

This is an ongoing concern for me, why is it taking Plusnet so long to resolve this issue?

TYN
Dabbler

@Gandalf Do you have any idea when this matter will be resolved as the problem stll persists. 

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @TYN,

I'm afraid we don't know when this issue will be resolved as of yet, however I've asked our incident management team today for a further update and we'll make sure to provide an update here once we know more.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
SteveA
Pro

@TheMightyAJ

Just had an email fail with this tonight.

So the problem hasn't been fixed - is there an update?

TYN
Dabbler

@SteveA

I'm still experiencing the same problem many months later, no feedback, update or fix.

Its a nightmare and Im really dissapointed with Plusnet over this. 😞