Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False rejection of valid sender domain

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: False rejection of valid sender domain

Nothing since.

Can you advise on what basis the rejection is made? Would a temporary DNS resolution failure (e.g. lack of response, not an positive NXDOMAIN) result in the assumption that the domain doesn't exist?

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

After a quieter period the inbound problem topic https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Plusnet-Email-servers-giving-random-SMTP-550-errors-for-inbound/... is hotting up again with mention of instances across servers for several brands.

@MJN Have you experienced further examples?

David
MJN
Pro

To be honest I gave waiting for Plusnet to even get involved, nevermind actually fix the problem, so now I send direct-to-MX instead. No problems since the change.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I don't blame you for taking that approach. Sad

Are any of the recipient addresses at Plusnet where incoming sender rejections could occur.

David
MJN
Pro

They could well be but a I've only seen issue with outbound mail at the time of sending (ie not at the point of attempted delivery).
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

@spraxyt wrote:

After a quieter period the inbound problem topic https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Plusnet-Email-servers-giving-random-SMTP-550-errors-for-inbound/... is hotting up again with mention of instances across servers for several brands.

@MJN Have you experienced further examples?

We've someone looking at the above right now.  Hopefully they are the same issue.  We'll see soon hopefully.

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
thunderbird6
Grafter

It's gone horribly quiet here, and on the other thread referenced above. But nothing has been fixed and the issue is back with a vengence over the last couple of days. Mail to PlusNet or PlusNet hosted domains is frequently (but not consistently) being bounced with 550 errors

Domain of sender address <xxxxxxx.xxxx.xx.xx> does not exist

Perhaps I would have more success complaining to Waitrose since the issue affects their customers, amongst many others.

What has happened to internal investigation reference number : 105238 ?

spraxyt
Resting Legend

It has indeed gone very quiet on this topic and the other one https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Plusnet-Email-servers-giving-random-SMTP-550-errors-for-inbound/....

I wonder if DNS is struggling to cope?

@Kelly Can a progress update be provided please?

David
Kelly
Hero

Just checking the id, it looked like we'd resolved this, but obviously not.

Had it gone completely and just restarted?  Or was it still happening and it's just got a lot worse?

Kelly Dorset
spraxyt
Resting Legend

@Kelly This is not directly "No sender domain" error specific, but is possibly related.

Last night, and again this morning, on different computers, one wired, the other WiFi, nslookup said DNS lookup failed - Time out 2 seconds, but still gave valid IP answers. This was using router DNS queried at its IPv6 address. The router has 212.159.6.9 & 10 primary and secondary DNS set.. This struck me as queries being sent to both DNS, one not responding but the other did. I don't recall getting that error before last night.

David
thunderbird6
Grafter

Hi Kelly,

Checking the logs it seems to have gone away from around mid December until earlier this week, since when it has been happening a lot again with exactly the same error message as before and on various PlusNet hosted services.

Let me know if you need specific examples and times.

Thanks for taking an interest in the problem.

Regards Keith

Kelly
Hero

Hi, specific examples with dates and times would be great.

Could you also clarify what you mean by "and on various PlusNet hosted services."  

Kelly Dorset
Kelly
Hero

@spraxyt @thunderbird6

I've got someone doing a bit of digging now.  Send over some examples of it if you can:  date, time, sender address and recipient address will help us finding stuff in the logs.  PM them over Smiley

Kelly Dorset
thunderbird6
Grafter

Hi Kelly,

I have sent you a PM including a variety of examples. They actually show that the problem was still present at the end of December and during January, which negates what I said earlier about the problem having gone away for a while. My reference to "various PlusNet hosted services" is supported by examples from Waitrose, GlobalNet and domains hosted on force9/megamailservers.eu. I hope this helps you to track down the problem.

Regards

Keith

Kelly
Hero

Yeah, that was great timing! Smiley

We're having a look.

Kelly Dorset