Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False emails from some of my contacts

chaswick
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

False emails from some of my contacts

Occasionally I receive an email supposedly from one of my contacts, but when I check their actual email address it is clearly false. These emails always address me as "Dear Charles", which is my correct given name. The content of the message is always a link to some supposedly rogue web address (which I don't open!), and the email is signed off with the correct given name of my contact.

This has been happening just occasionally over a period of more than 12 months. Do you think it is my address book/email account that has been hacked at some stage, or is it the result of hacks on some of my contacts?

5 REPLIES 5
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: False emails from some of my contacts

chaswick
Rising Star

Thanks Gel. So presumably this must be quite common. I can't be unique in having half a dozen or so of my contacts who have had their address books hacked?

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

I'm registered with SpamCop, and just forward such e mails to them, but always as an attachment so they can see headers/ identify senders ISP.
chaswick
Rising Star

I have just received another this evening. So if you say that you always forward them to Spamcorp it therefore means that you receive such emails yourself and therefore I am not unique. i am also relieved as you reckon that is the sender's contacts that have been accessed by a third party.

adrianscotter
Pro
Fixes: 2

Hi there, it's called 'spoofing'

Your friend / contact almost certainly has had their account detail copied from a genuine email they have sent. It's nothing to be concerned about, just tell the person that sent it (in case their account has been compromised) and delete it.

Live long and prosper!