Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRAUDULENT SPOOF PHISHING email from Paypal (PAPAL !!) Warning

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just received this, didn't click on any links.....
Many warning signs
Undisclosed recipient
Paypal spelt PAPAL
I don't have a paypal account.
other indications such as the spoof email going to another email address of mine not connected with ASDA.

This in no way is connected to Plusnet, I am posting this as a warning just in case anyone else receives such an email.

My email virus checker has just indicated many email viruses at the same time, all rejected by ClamXav.
For info, I attach  screen grabs of the email, so that there is no security issue in posting this.
After a conversation with ASDA they gave me an email address to forwards the fraudulent email onto them.
ASDA1@mailgb.custhelp.com
I have forwarded the email to them.
I will now delete the spoof email
The fraudulent email purports to be from Paypal  (Papal) , not ASDA, mentioning some item I do not have on order, nor can ASDA find any such order.

3 REPLIES 3
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: FRAUDULENT SPOOF PHISHING email from Paypal (PAPAL !!) Warning

If I bothered to check my spam folder, I would probably have several of these.
I don't check it unless I am missing a specific email, google does a good job of filtering cr*p like that
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Looking at the most recent page of my SPAM folder I've got MBNA Bank Limited, Nationwide Building Society and National Westminster Bank all requiring me to login via a link to verify something or other, it's a quiet week for such blatant spam.
All start 'Dear Customer' or similar, I'm not a customer but If I were I'd expect to be addressed by name by organisations I actually deal with - that's the first obvious give-away.  I used to report all such emails to the relevant organisation but now I usually just delete them.
Occasionally I follow their login link via an anonymous VPN just to feed them some 'carp' (hopefully wasting a bit of their time).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anonymous
Not applicable

One of the reasons I reported it, is that the email address targeted, stopped accepting emails or forwarding them, after the large batch of Virus warnings.
I did some test emails after all the virus detections.
A similar thing happened last year, when "suspicious" activity was noted on one of my email addresses, and the account blocked for a while, until I contacted them.
This appears to have happened today too.
As it happens the email address targeted is one I rarely use, and so can identify to some extent where the leak occurred.
The email Broadband team ( Not Plusnet ) have sorted it.