cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 552 when sending emails

xylophone

Error 552 when sending emails

Hi

I have had problems in past 2 weeks also with relay.plus.net too. Basically it won't send most of the messages I try to send and returns some 552 errors with a message that it's spam or something.

This doesn't happen so much with "clean" messages, more from when I reply or forward something. It had never been a problem until recently and I changed no settings on any of my devices.

I am a fibre VDSL subscriber and have been using the smtp relay on port 587 successfully from home and on 4G phones, the latter with my plusnet username and password of course for authentication.

I did IM someone in support and they said that they'd reset something for me, but it made no difference. I also set up an alternate login by creating another mail account on the plusnet system. Made no difference, same problem.

I have basically given up and bought another (SSL) SMTP service from my  domain provider for £2/mo.

Unsurprisingly this works perfectly

If anyone knows WHY my plusnet one doesn't work any more, I'd be really happy to know so I could cancel the other subscription.

thanks

Tim

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Changed thread title to reflect issue after splitting to its own thread.

2 REPLIES 2
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Error 552 when sending emails

Moderator's note:

Post split to its own thread for better visibility.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Error 552 when sending emails

@xylophone wrote:

Basically it won't send most of the messages I try to send and returns some 552 errors with a message that it's spam or something.

This doesn't happen so much with "clean" messages, more from when I reply or forward something. It had never been a problem until recently and I changed no settings on any of my devices.

I have basically given up and bought another (SSL) SMTP service from my  domain provider for £2/mo.

Unsurprisingly this works perfectly

Hi Tim,

From what you have said, it appears that you can send new emails without issue, but SOMETIMES when replying to or forwarding other people's emails the Plusnet spam filter inhibits the propagation of potential spam?  Correct?

This is not unreasonable behaviour of a responsible email service provider - the internet is awash with spam material and many mail service providers are allowing it to flow freely without hindrance ... which means that they could be responsible for it reaching your mail box, possibly infecting your PC.

It is more than likely that there is a suspect URL embedded in the email you are replying to or are forwarding, which the spam filters are trapping.  The question about the correctness of that action can only be ascertained by inspection of said email.  It is possible that the profile is wrong, it could be correct.  Usually @bobpullen takes a look at these issues, usually by an arrangement to PM the email content to him.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.