cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entire mailbox contents duplicated via POP3 07/01/2011

zzrmatt
Dabbler

Re: Entire mailbox contents duplicated via POP3 07/01/2011

This has started happening to my account today as well. Only 100 odd mails but frustrating none the less.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for the heads up zzrmatt, I've passed this on to our engineers and they're investigating. Sorry about the hassle as well.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@zzrmatt - are you getting the mail replication on the account you're posting from, or is it a different account? We can't find anything looking into the one your forum account is linked to.
EDIT - please ignore the above, we've found it now Smiley
essenby
Grafter

Slightly off-topic (well in fact - WAYYYYYYYYYYY off topic Wink ) I have the exact opposite problem!
I've logged in to my email account on Tuesday to find that everything prior to 26 Dec had vanished!. I only ever use the webmail interface, and I have no mail clients configured to use the PlusNet account.
I've logged a ticket for this  but I'm not holding my breath. 

Barrie
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Best bet is that you went over the size limit and it has been archived - hopefully
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi essenby,
I can see there's mail going back to the 22nd December in your mailbox but nothing before that, if we'd archived anything you'd have received a ticket and email advising of what had happened. If you were expecting older mail than that to be in there let me know and I'll ask our engineers to investigate for you.
essenby
Grafter

Thanks Matt.  There should be some mail going WAYYYYYYY back before that. 
There is already a ticket raised in My Questions relating to this.

Barrie
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Barrie, I've just passed your ticket across to our Network bods, although I doubt it'll get any attention until after the weekend now Sad
Regarding the duplicate messages problem, we rolled a patch late on Wednesday (19th) that we're hoping has fixed it. For reasons we're unsure of at the moment, the mail collection servers are momentarily losing visibility of the storage platform. When this happens they're unable to retrieve the cache file that looks after UIDL numbering. Long story short, this fools your mail client into thinking it needs to re-download all of your messages.
The patch we've rolled is intended to return an authentication error, rather than an incorrect cache file that results in all of your email being downloaded again.
Please shout up if you encounter any further instances of this problem now that the servers have been patched...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: jelv
Isn't this just a standard consequence of having a POP3 mail client set to leave the messages on the server? Any hiccup  on the mail sever and the client forgets which messages it has already downloaded and downloads everything on the server again.

Roll_eyes
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)