cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails to self are discarded

JohnHadj

Emails to self are discarded

It appears that when I send emails from myself to myself (for test purposes) they are discarded by plusnet.  I use a redirection service (uk2) to translate john@aaa.co.uk to bbb@bbb.force9.co.uk.  If I send from john@aaa.co.uk to bbb@bbb.force9.co.uk it gets through.  If I send from john@aaa.co.uk to somewhere else, they receive it.  If I send from another device to john@aaa.co.uk it gets through (so the redirection is working).  It is just if I send from john@aaa.co.uk to john@aaa.co.uk via plusnet that the email gets discarded.  I have spam filtering switched off.

Just to add that there are no error messages or bouncebacks and that emails from john@aaa.co.uk to another mailbox on bbb@bbb.force9.co.uk are also discarded.

Does anyone have any ideas what is happening?

Thanks

John

4 REPLIES 4
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Emails to self are discarded

Perhaps you should ask uk2 if they allow the sender address to be the same as the recipient address (before redirection)? It could be regarded as a characteristic of spam.

David
JohnHadj

Thanks for the suggestion, David, I have asked and I am waiting for a reply.

However, this is relatively new (I could send test messages recently), and further investigation shows that sending from anything@aaa.co.uk to anythingelse@aaa.co.uk is discarded.  I can't imagine UK2 regards such emails as spam.

I wonder whether plusnet has blacklisted my domain somehow?

John

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Just a fyi Gmail/Googlemail does this.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@JohnHadj Before my previous reply I checked that I can send an email from my Force9 address to the same one, and also to a different mailbox on the same domain. In my case the messages were passed from the outbound Force9 relay to the inbound one, with routing headers as expected.

Clearly I'm not routing via uk2 servers. In your case routing via uk2 appears to work if you avoid identical From and To domains. Hence my suggestion to check if uk2 blocked this. Perhaps there is an error message but it goes to the blocked domain so gets blocked. Sad

I've responded today to posts where users have been concerned at receiving faked messages apparently from themselves. They were detected as spam, but also quarantined because they contained a virus. It's entirely possible that uk2 could have chosen to block such address pairing for added safety.

David