cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails to plus.com email addresses rejected

matthewh
Hooked

Emails to plus.com email addresses rejected

Emails from my hosted domain to any plusnet hosted email address are being rejected with the below error. I have configured SPF, DKIM and DMARC. My IP is not listed on any blacklist that I can find. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Is it possible that plusnet has blocked me?

I have sent an email to abuse@plus.net on 1st Feb but haven't received a reply.

I can provide more detailed information about my domain in a PM or direct email if someone from plusnet can advise?

Thanks,

Matt.

--------------

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

email@[removed].plus.com
    all hosts for '[removed].plus.com' have been failing for a long time (and retry time not reached)

--1606314674-eximdsn-1079202992
Content-type: message/delivery-status

Reporting-MTA: dns; medon.uksrv.co.uk

Action: failed
Final-Recipient: rfc822; email@[removed].plus.com

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).
13 REPLIES 13
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Re: Emails to plus.com email addresses rejected

The email address is still behind the links in your post as a heads up. I’ve asked the mods to edit it out as there’s a 20 min time limit for normal users to edit posts.

If you put your IP and domain in the Spamhaus lookup tool here https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/ does it show any blocks on your IP and/or domain?

Failing that you may need someone like @Townman to cast an eye over this and have a look.

matthewh
Hooked

Thanks for the reply. I have checked the spamhaus lookup and neither my IP nor domain is on there.

matthewh
Hooked

I have just tried again. This is the bounceback received. Is anyone able to help, please?

Thanks.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

user@domain.plus.com
retry timeout exceeded
Reporting-MTA: dns; medon.uksrv.co.uk

Action: failed
Final-Recipient: rfc822;user@domain.plus.com

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Do you have any URL links in your email sig ? These can often upset the Cloudmark Spam detection system.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

matthewh
Hooked

Thanks for your reply. No URL links in the email sig. Just standard stuff with name and a disclaimer.

Its not just me having this problem; anyone emailing from my domain is having the same issue sending to any email account hosted with plusnet.

Is it possible that my IP is blocked? My server admins tried a telnet on port 25 and that timed out.

Any other ideas?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

My server admins tried a telnet on port 25 and that timed out.

That sounds strange! Normally you would get as far as authentication at least and then it would return a 535 see here  for an example https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Unable-to-send-emails-POP-when-using-Plusnet-broadband/m-p/17731...

Note the example is using port 587 since its simulating submission from am email client. MTA's would normally use port 25 to relay but that shouldn't make a difference

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Is there a VPN involved here?

matthewh
Hooked

@Townman Thanks for reply. No VPNs in use. Just plain old webmail.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

If this is “plain old webmail” why were “my server admins trying telnet connections to port 25”?

Plain old webmail is using the mail service via http://webmail.plus.net

The narrative herein sounds like something very different - domain name registered somewhere else, with name server elsewhere, using PN as the hosting service as was possible many years ago.

matthewh
Hooked

@Townman I think there is some confusion here - probably my fault, so my apologies.

To be clear: I am not a Plusnet customer.

I am sending from a completely separate domain TO plusnet and it is these emails that are being rejected by plusnet. We don't use anything clever or complicated: just webmail to send email from our domain. All other email sends fine and is received but any message to a plusnet hosted email address is rejected. Even tried from a different domain name hosted on the same server and that was rejected too. So either the server IP is blocked or there is some mis-match between my domain host and plusnet's servers.

As I have gone as far as I currently can with my host the next avenue is to see if plusnet can check email receipt. Appreciate the logs must be huge but there must be a way of seeing if the connection is even attempted? Very happy to provide more information such as domain name and IP in a PM if someone has the access to check such things for me. 

Am really pulling my hair out with this one and the user's of my domain are getting frustrated about not being able to send to plusnet email addresses. So any help is very much appreciated. 

Many thanks indeed for your time.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Ah, I see!

You are a third party domain and all email from your host to a Plusnet address is being rejected?

Is this applicable - SMTP mails being rejected by receiver - Server Fault ?

Does your domain have a rDNS record?

matthewh
Hooked

The rDNS points to the domain host rather than my domain. This would be normal for a host that has many domains though wouldn't it? 

So I don't believe that Server Fault page applies in this case.

Any other ideas? Or things to check?

I have sent a PM with more specific details of the domain in question.

Thanks for your help.

matthewh
Hooked

Hello. Wondering whether anyone has any ideas about this issue? Really need to resolve it.

Do you think whatever was done here could be done for me too?

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Emails-to-plus-com-email-addresses-rejected-Spam-message/td-p/16...

Thanks.