cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails to plus.com email addresses rejected 'Spam message rejected'

jamesbarrell

Emails to plus.com email addresses rejected 'Spam message rejected'

We run an email service which schools use to send emails to opted-in parents (info about their child's education etc.).

The sender domains are all of the format [Removed] (where * is the school name).

Messages are blocked/rejected with the smtp response 'Spam Message Rejected".

We use SPF, Dmarc, DKIM and adhere to all standard policies/email good practice. The sending IP addresses are:

We have checked none of these are listed by Cloudmark (or any other known blacklist). Why are our emails consistently rejected, and what can we do to stop this happening? They are not spam - the parents want to receive them.

Thanks

James

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).

18 REPLIES 18
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Emails to plus.com email addresses rejected 'Spam message rejected'

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Plusnet Feedback to Email

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @jamesbarrell,

I haven't been able to locate any account associated with the information provided. Just to confirm, are your emails sent from a Plusnet Mail Account?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@TheMightyAJ  I dont think so!

They're being sent TO plusnet mailboxes from an external address and server BUT they're being rejected as spam and the  OP would like to understand why?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jamesbarrell

Thanks - yes that's correct - these are emails being sent from our own mail servers TO plusnet accounts - i.e. *.plus.com email addresses.

We'd like to understand why they are being rejected as spam, and what we can do about it.

Even if your filters think they contain 'spammy' content why would you not deliver them to the recipients' spam folder and then let them decide, and give them the opportunity to mark as 'not spam'? We're not even able to get that far as PlusNet is rejecting them completely, so our recipients are completely unaware of them. We meet all the SPF/DKIM/Dmarc standards as I mentioned in the original post.

Thanks for your help

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @jamesbarrell, sorry to hear you're experiencing problems sending emails to plusnet addresses.

Please could you send an email to abuse@plus.net with the following details:

• Subject “Third party email blocked by Plusnet spam filter”
  • Clarification that they cannot send email to Plusnet email addresses because the email gets reported as SPAM
  • Purpose of the email send and provide a sample of the mail sent.
  • Inclusion of errors contained within the NDR (Non Deliverable Report) emails.
  • Provide the sender address, subject line, recipient address and date/time in GMT/BST

If this also gets a bounceback for spam, please could you try this from another email address (Such as a gmail address etc.)

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Further to my previous post, I've just spoken to the guy who often picks these emails up and he's said it may get picked up quicker if we raise a task for this as opposed to waiting for the next time the emails are picked up.

Could you drop myself and @Gandalf a PM with the information requested in my previous response and one of us will get that raised for you.

Thanks.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
jamesbarrell

Thanks Harry - sorry if it's a stupid question but how do I PM you? I can't see any option to do that?

I had already just emailed abuse@ as suggested before reading your last post, but can send the same details in a PM too if you let me know.

James

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @jamesbarrell there should be a private message option in our profiles. Here are some shortcuts though, to PM @HarryB click Here or to PM me click Here.

It'd be easier and quicker to raise this if you could PM the information directly as we'd have to try and find someone with access to the abuse@ mailbox to locate the email you've sent us. 

To avoid any further delay, I'd recommend PMing me as Harry's left the office now, he mostly works night shifts. 

I'll then get a task raised to our NetOps team to investigate further.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jamesbarrell

Thanks - I have sent a PM to you both with the same details I sent in the email

James

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks James, I'll get this raised for you now and PM you back soon

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jamesbarrell

Hi

We had an email from Jon Whiting <abuse@plus.net> following this on Thursday asking for some more info which we sent straight back - but have not had any response to that yet, or a follow up email sent on Friday.

We're still getting the email rejection problem.

Please can you chase this up, it is a big problem for us.

Thanks

James

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi James,

Sorry for the delayed update, I've got in touch with JW and he's passed this onto Cloudmark.

I should be able to provide an update on the progress within the next 24 hours.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi James, I've had a reply to advise this should be sorted for you now.

Could you confirm if you're able to successfully send emails to plus.com domains now?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jamesbarrell

Thank you - we do not have any new reports yet, however I think we may not have sent many emails yet. We will monitor it for a few days and be in touch if any further problems.

Thanks again for chasing this up,

James