cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails to ‘@btinternet’ being bounced

AndyTodd

Emails to ‘@btinternet’ being bounced

I have recently set up a new domain with some email addresses. I use Outlook 365 for sending emails. All emails to any btinternet user are bounced with the following message:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es)

failed:

anyname@btinternet.com:

SMTP error from remote server for TEXT command, host: mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk (65.20.0.49) reason: 554 Message rejected on 2018/01/20 09:08:24 GMT, policy (3.2.1.1) – Your  message looks like SPAM or has been reported as SPAM please read www.bt.com/bulksender

The start of the header for the outgoing message is - 

Received: from ACERA ([80.189.156.168]) by mrelayeu.kundenserver.de (mreue006

[212.227.15.163]) with ESMTPSA (Nemesis) id 0LaNXn-1f5s2J1171-00mKsa for  <anyname@btinternet.com>; Sat, 20 Jan 2018 10:08:16 +0100

I've removed the true name of the intended recipient.

I've spoken to support at 1and1 who host the domain and they reckon the problem lies with Plusnet .

I have no problem sending to any other email accounts I have another domain which I have used for years and I have no problem sending emails to btinternet accounts on that one (Also hosted by 1and1).

ALL ideas gratefully received.

Andy Todd

8 REPLIES 8
SpinDryer
Grafter

Re: Emails to ‘@btinternet’ being bounced

The problem lies with BTinternet, which is surprising as that and Plusnet have the same top tier.

Their forums have many similar reports.

By the way, did you want your club email address to be in the post?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi,

Does any if this set up use PlusNET’s email servers?

From your explanation it sounds as though you are using Plusnet purely as an ISP connection, to send emails from a 1&1 provided (hosted) email service to BT email addresses. If that is correct, then this issue has nothing to do with Pulsner’s email service.

If that’s not correct, can you please provide more details.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@SpinDryer,

Can you explain what significance does BT and PN having the same ‘top tier’ (as do so many providers) have on the matter at hand?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AndyTodd

The explanation I was given was that the problem lay in the ACERA I.P. address (see header) which is apparently a Plusnet server. However, this all goes way beyond my knowledge of such matters.

The good news is that it seems to have been sorted out somehow as emails sent this week didn't bounce. I have a vague recollection of the same thing happening initially when I set up my other domain. Maybe BT's anti-spam takes longer than anyone elses to 'whitelist' new domains.

Thanks for your help

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Sadly I fear you’ve been given a dose of hog wash!

That IP address is in the Plusnet dynamic IP address pool and is the address assigned by Plusnet to YOUR router. Much as I suspected you’ve been misinformed - these emails are going nowhere near the PlusNET email servers. The only PlusNET involvement here is that they are your ISP over whose network you access 1&1s mail servers. This is a 1&1 or BT issue.

SpinDryer
Grafter

wrote:
@SpinDryer,

Can you explain what significance does BT and PN having the same ‘top tier’ (as do so many providers) have on the matter at hand?

Sorry, my apologies. By top tier I'm referring to the parent company, not the internet tier. Their servers are completely separate and have totally different IP address ranges

SpinDryer
Grafter

wrote:
Sadly I fear you’ve been given a dose of hog wash!

That IP address is in the Plusnet dynamic IP address pool and is the address assigned by Plusnet to YOUR router. Much as I suspected you’ve been misinformed - these emails are going nowhere near the PlusNET email servers. The only PlusNET involvement here is that they are your ISP over whose network you access 1&1s mail servers. This is a 1&1 or BT issue.

I completely concur, apart from it being a solely BT issue - unless 1&1 completely messed up the settings for the header details (simplistic view!).

SpinDryer
Grafter

wrote:

The explanation I was given was that the problem lay in the ACERA I.P. address (see header) which is apparently a Plusnet server. However, this all goes way beyond my knowledge of such matters.

The good news is that it seems to have been sorted out somehow as emails sent this week didn't bounce. I have a vague recollection of the same thing happening initially when I set up my other domain. Maybe BT's anti-spam takes longer than anyone elses to 'whitelist' new domains.

Thanks for your help

I'm interested in who actually gave you the explanation which is pure fiction, as seen elsewhere. The IP address is/was yours at the time, since they are dynamic and associated with a user until a router reset/reboot or simply a system termination and reconnect to a new IP address. You can see what IP address you have by simply typing what's my ip into google.

Thankfully it has been fixed, but I wonder what was done.