cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails to Plusnet user being blocked now

quakerdave

Emails to Plusnet user being blocked now

Hi

I have a ".me.uk" account mail account. I used to have my mail hosted on Fasthosts with my web sites. Since moving to Hostgator at the turn of the year my mail to a close friend who uses Plusnet and with whom I have successfully communicated for years is now periodically unable to be delivered. Occasionally the emails are blocked and a report is received immediately while at other times the message may take 5 or 10 minutes to come through. This happened for about a week about a month ago but then cleared up. It has restarted. MXToolkit reports nothing wrong with this domain and none of the SPAM engines are blocking my mail. The last time this happened mail to Talktalk was also blocked but all other ISPs had no issues.

Can anyone help, please? Thank you in advance.

The header in the returned mail is:

Moderators Note: Personal information removed

6 REPLIES 6
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Emails to Plusnet user being blocked now

Hi @quakerdave 

A warm welcome to the forums.

I am disappointed that this query has not been picked up by a staff member.  Is it still an issue?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

quakerdave

I was also surprised and disappointed that no-one picked this up from Plusnet and responded before - it certainly made me wonder whether this was typical of their service. I did ask the user himself to raise the issue but he said that from previous experience he thought that it wouldn't help. It happened for every email I sent in a two week period when I posted the problem initially and then cleared up. However, since then I have had the odd email bounced but resending it has always worked since. It is worrying that the cause of the problem hasn't been identified as the communications I have with this member are sometimes important and time-sensitive. I tried to attach the full error log but wasn't able to do this. I probably still have it if there is some way I could send it. My own service provider suggested that the issue was a web site address which appears in my sig file which may be the cause of the issue. Thanks for responding.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Dave,

COVID-19 is still having a massive impact on PN's staff, especially with schools being closed.  It has been suggested that unfortunately not all staff have home environments suitable for WFH secure from the presence of other family members.  Consequently at the moment coverage on email issues is particularly thin.

Reproducing these issues can be difficult and time can be of the essence for the submission of evidence.  Generally the only things which needs to be shared are...

• Date and time the message was sent
  • The Subject text
  • The SPAM signature string
  • The rejecting server name

I requested that your last submission be hidden as it contained lost of sensitive details.

If you can share the URL which is thought problematic, I will run some tests to see if I can reproduce the issue and if so, get someone to look at the system logs.  The SPAM management is provided by a third party (Cloud Mark) to whom false positives need to be directed for review.

HTH?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

quakerdave

Hi

Here's some of what you wanted:

Sent Date/time: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 11:07:18 +0000
Arrival Date/time: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 05:07:30 -0600 (CST

Subject: TV etc at MH

Rejecting Server name: host mx.avasin.plus.net[212.159.8.200] said: 552 Spam

Not sure which is the Spam Signature String, which is why I included the whole message. How do I identify this? Is this what you meant?: Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 552 Spam Message Rejected

There's no other identifiable string referred to by SPAM in the log.

Thaks.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Dave,

It turns out that email is too old to investigate. Also stuff sent since appears to have been OK?

quakerdave

I suspected as such. Yes, there were two issues around that time and they have been OK since. If it happens again I'll repost the details. Thanks for the help. Best wishes & Stay Safe.