cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails taking forever

happydiver

Emails taking forever

I'm not particularly tech savy...I've got fibre broadband. My access to the internet seems OK but my emails are on a go slow. Anything with an attachment that I try and send is still floating around in cyberspace somewhere, having vanished from outbox but not appeared in sent. My son's school email account (he's self isolating so trying to do school work from home) he can see the emails from teachers (in the list of emails in the in box) but when he clicks to view the message it won't download.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be and how to solve it?

5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Emails taking forever

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Email

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Good morning @happydiver

thanks a lot for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues here. So I've run a line test which shows no issues with the upload speed from our end, it's coming through at 10Mbps which is the maximum rate based on the package you're currently on.

There's quite a few factors which could be effecting this,including some which are outside of our domain. Can I ask whether your son is using a VPN service to connect to his school's network? this can effect file sharing speeds. Other factors include the wireless signal within the property, this could be bypassed by using power line adapters to run a wired connection through the mains within the property.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
happydiver

Thank you for your response. Most of my emails appear to be sending/receiving a little better today. However there are still some I send yesterday (with attachments) that haven't arrived. Could this be a problem with the recipient's email account? Maybe not wanting to accept attachments? Like I say I'm not particularly tech savy!

With regards to whether my son is using a VPN service to connect to his school network...I've no idea! He accesses it via his school iPad. I have however been able to access his emails (using his school log ins) going via Safari, I'm wondering if perhaps the issue is with the iPad/app that school use for the emails????Huh

Thanks for your speedy response and advice though

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Spot on @happydiver 

There's a wide range of factors that can interrupt emails being sent / received, including the network that the emails are being sent through, VPN's, email clients, both the sender and receiver etc.

It might be worth checking to see whether other students are having similar issues with school issued equipment to pin point the source of the issues here. From our end, everything does look good Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@happydiver 

Just to be clear...

• Are the email addresses being discussed here Plusnet email addresses?  That is @youraccount.plus.com
  • How are you accessing these email boxes - via an email application or via webmail?
  • If an email application, how is it configured, POP3 or IMAP?

Email is not a file sharing nor distribution mechanism and it is shabby that your son's school should be distributing materials in this manner.  A more appropriate approach would be for the school to place the materials into cloud storage and then share a link to that via email.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.