Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails sent to gmail account undeliverable

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Emails sent to gmail account undeliverable

@onlymeok - so authentication isn't the issue, then, but it was only a thought. I use port 587 (without encryption), and yes I know you need it when using 'foreign' networks - i.e. mobile ones, or not you're home connection.

John
onlymeok
Dabbler

@jab1 - thanks for the suggestions and I've tried loads of combinations. Funny thing is it works fine on all other emails but gmail.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

OK, @onlymeok - as I (and presumably many other PN mail service users) don't have this problem, I'm out of ideas at the moment - sorry.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@onlymeok wrote:

I have exactly the same problem and reported in another thread, plusnet need to look into this as it only affects sending to @gmail accounts.

You mean from your experience that it is Gmail which is out of step with everyone else?  So maybe its Gmail who need to look at something? 🤔

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

onlymeok
Dabbler

Well, I've found my problem and I'm not sure if it affects others:

When I first created my account in Outlook I used my domain email address, example: joe@bloggs.co.uk and setup my account manually, entering relay.plus.net, port 587, STARTTLS, and using authentication of my plusnet account username and password. Everything was fine until a few weeks ago when emails to gmail were blocked. Once you have created an account name in outlook you cannot change it, so I added a new account, but this time called it joe@blogg.co.uk and setup exactly the same as the other account, guess what, all emails now go through to gmail.

So, is it Plusnet or Gmail blocking emails sent from joe@bloggs.co.uk but everything is fine from joe@blogg.co.uk?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

That sounds like an SPF issue.

I have my own domain name, hosted by Plusnet.  I set up email accounts in outlook as me@mydomain.co.uk and use my Plusnet account name and password as the mail box / SMTP authentication details.  Emails get through to Gmail without issue.

You added an "s" to your illustration - do both of the domain names exist?  If not, which of the two does exist?  For the domain names mentioned, do they have SPF records configured?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

onlymeok
Dabbler

@Townman ,

Thanks for the help and you could be onto something. I'm not all that clued up on SPF as I've never had to do anything before and it has always worked.

My original example with an "s" was my domain that I just use to forward emails to my plusnet email address. The other one without the "s" was just made up and not a domain, but this was able to send emails to gmail accounts, if that makes sense?

onlymeok
Dabbler

Many thanks @Townman , SPF was the issue due to Gmail updating their email policy recently.  After speaking to Ionos about my domain, they created the SPF for me and they said they have been doing a lot of this recently.  Gmail is now working!

It just goes to show how long ago I've looked at anything like this as my domain email server was set to 1and1 which is now Ionos. I suppose my philosophy is, if it isn't broke...... 

JohnS1
Hooked

Hi, I’m experiencing exactly the same issues, email is working except no longer able to email to my gmail account ‘due to permanent error’ responded with **joeblogg@gamil.com ??:?? 
Help, I have no idea what to do but can see the problem is shared with many other gmail users - is there a step by step idiot proof guide to solution? 

onlymeok
Dabbler

@JohnS1,

Do you have your own domain that you are using to send emails to gmail?

Do you use Outlook or Thunderbird to send emails?

If you log into the Plusnet Webmail using your credentials, https://webmail.plus.net/ can you send an email to a gmail account?

JohnS1
Hooked

Hi, I’m not sure what a domain is but by gmail address is just my initials + surname + two random letters (needed as my initials and surname were already taken).

I use outlook.

When logged into my plusnet account Emails to my gmail account get bounced back as undeliverable, I also tried sending to a contact with a gmail account and that also came back as undeliverable.

onlymeok
Dabbler

@JohnS1 

It sounds like your issue maybe slightly different to mine.

First of all goto Plusnet Webmail and log in using your plusnet credentials.

https://webmail.plus.net/

Create a New Message and send it to your Gmail address. Does this go through or bounce back?

JohnS1
Hooked

Bounces back as undeliverable 

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there JohnS1 could you get a copy of the headers of the bounce message back to us so we can have a look into it for you? - Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
JohnS1
Hooked

Hi, thanks, I’m going to send a screenshot to you as a private message so it’s not showing my details on an open forum, hope that’s ok.