cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails sent to gmail account undeliverable

Spruce01
Grafter

Emails sent to gmail account undeliverable

All today any emails sent to a gmail account are being returned as undeliverable. The other email adressees get delivered ok.

I am sending from outlook using my globalnet email account.

172 REPLIES 172
geehawk
Rising Star

Re: Emails sent to gmail account undeliverable

I'm having a similar issue first noticed yesterday afternoon.

Trying to forward a received message (from Amazon) to a Gmail account. The message shows up as sent, I get no rejection or bounce error, but the email never arrives. I have tried sending to two different Gmail accounts.

I'm using Thunderbird, and sending from my F9 account.

If I forward the message to a Yahoo address it is received fine, and from there forwards to Gmail fine.

Spruce01
Grafter

Still investigating but seems to work from my phone and iPad so am wondering if it is something to do with the server settings in POP account on my pc. Thinking it may be a certificate problem that gmail is set to bounce. 
no technical expert so fumbling about a bit here!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

"Its OK for me" does not usually help ... unless it was a transient issue.  I have just ran a test (simple zero content email) and it arrived promptly.

Is it still an issue for you?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Spruce01 wrote:

Thinking it may be a certificate problem that Gmail is set to bounce. no technical expert so fumbling about a bit here!

A certificate issue would inhibit you being able to connect to the Plusnet servers, nothing to do with the email not getting to Gmail.

Oh I need to check something in respect of my test (which will take a while) - did you send it as something@youraccount.plus.com?  If yes, that does match an issue we have seen before, which did not impact sending as me@mydomain.me.uk - which is the test I just did.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Spruce01
Grafter

I am sending it as john@myaccount.globalnet.co.uk

the reason I wondered about certificates is just recently I stated getting messages about the server certificate and asking if I wanted to keep using it.

thanks

Spruce01
Grafter

Hi, tried sending from both formats of email to a gmail account and get same instant response saying could not be delivered due to permanent error

john

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Does that not mean that the email address being used is invalid or no longer in use?

Spruce01
Grafter

It at all it is a live gmail account and is fully working.

I have just set up a new account using IMAP through outlook and that seems to allow me to send to gmail as with my iPad email ( again imap) so it seems it might be a problem that has started occurring yesterday with the pop account.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Inbound IMAP or POP3 both use the same SMTP outbound server.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Just did a test using @account.plus.net as the sending email address and delivery was instantaneous.  So this is not a reoccurrence of the previous issue.

Rereading the topic in full @Spruce01 and @geehawk describe two very different scenarios - one receives a clear Non-Delivery Report (NDR) but does not share the content - it should explain why it was not delivered whilst the other states that there is no NDR and no apparent delivery.  Has the junk mail folder been checked?

Previously emails sent to free Gmail accounts from @account.plus.com email addresses could take an eternity to be delivered.  That can look like @geehawk 's description of their problem.  This issue has not been seen for a very long time.

@Spruce01 's (the OP) issue is quite different - what is the content of the NDR please?

geehawk
Rising Star

Yes I'm getting no failure notice at all just non arrival.

The Junk/Spam folder was the first thing I checked.

However, this morning (2 days after sending) they have appeared in the Gmail spam folder. So took an age to arrive and were incorrectly identified as Spam by Gmail.

I have just tried again and my email was received immediately, so I guess I'm sorted, and my issue was not related.

Sorry for any confusion I caused.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

For those which were received, can you please look at the message headers and examine the message passing time stamps.

The last time we saw something like this, IIRC the evidence showed that Plusnet had passed the mail over to gmail around the time the user had sent the mail but Gmail servers sat on it for hours before delivery to the users mailbox. It was notable that the same email sent to a paid for gmail address arrived instantaneously.

You might be an early observance of a new, similar issue!

Spruce01
Grafter

Hi,

glad we have eliminated the one problem, sadly mine persists.

Here is the. NDR:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.      

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:

* john.*.*@gmail.com

Reason: A message that you sent to the following recipient could not be delivered due to a permanent error. ** The remote server ?? responded with: ** john.*.*@gmail.com ??:?? This message was created automatically by mail delivery software on the server .

this is instantaneous and for all gmail addressees and it does indeed not get delivered. The above is my own gmail i tested again a few minutes ago.

this problem just started a few days ago out of the blue, not after any changes or anything different being done. 

thanks for your help

Pat52

I have experienced the same problem since Wed 3 Mar.  This occurs when using my client server and Webmail.  The message I get is:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.     

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:.

No error code or specific reason.is given.

Calls to Plusnet not helpful - would not escalate issue =- just said it is a Gmail problem.!