cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails sent from GMail through Thunderbird bounced by Plusnet and xtra.co.nz

PeterPiper
Hooked

Emails sent from GMail through Thunderbird bounced by Plusnet and xtra.co.nz

I use Thunderbird to run all my email, including GMail, and I've noticed today that any GMail message of any kind sent by me through POP on Thunderbird (52.6.0) is being bounced by PlusNet as "552 Spam Message Rejected", whilst the same message composed and sent from the GMail website is not bounced. 

The same appears to be happening with mail sent to Xtra.co.nz (an email service of Spark in New Zealand), but their bounce is "554 5.7.1 Message rejected due to possible spam content".  Again sending the same message through GMail's website results in delivery.  Likewise perhaps with Centurytel.net "554 5.7.1 [P4] Message blocked due to spam content in the message".

Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Emails sent from GMail through Thunderbird bounced by Plusnet and xtra.co.nz

Your message is being rejected by our outbound mail servers (relay.plus.net). This means that you're using Plusnet's servers to send your non-Plusnet hosted email.

Whilst this wouldn't normally present a problem, you might want to look into using Google's servers to relay your GMail messages instead.

If you can send the Gmail message to your own Gmail address via the Webmail interface and then provide me with a copy of the received email source (see below), then I should be able to work out what's going on.

Would suggest sending the message via Private Message rather than posting here.

gmail-show-source.jpg

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

PeterPiper
Hooked

Re: Emails sent from GMail through Thunderbird bounced by Plusnet and xtra.co.nz

Sorry I didn't mean POP I meant SMTP.

I am sending a message from my GMail account, using smtp.gmail.com , from the email program Mozilla Thunderbird.  When I send any message this way at the moment, even just a few words of text, if the recipient is a Plusnet customer it is being bounced back as spam.

Here is the result:

Reporting-MTA: dns; googlemail.com
Received-From-MTA: dns; p????????@gmail.com
Arrival-Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 03:30:19 -0800 (PST)
X-Original-Message-ID: <e3384b12-2487-4aac-1371-beaf3c84f8cd@gmail.com>

Final-Recipient: rfc822; peter@?????????.plus.com
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mx.avasin.plus.net. (212.159.9.200, the server for the domain reynoldsbooks.plus.com.)
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 552 Spam Message Rejected
Last-Attempt-Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 03:30:23 -0800 (PST)

About a dog.eml
Subject:
About a dog
Peter Reynolds <p????????@gmail.com>
Date:
23/02/18 11:30
To:
peter@????????.plus.com

I have to go and see a man about a dog.
PeterPiper
Hooked

By contrast, exactly the same subject and text sent from GMail's website goes through just fine.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It looks like one or more of the smtp.gmail.com relays has been blacklisted by the Plusnet Cloudmark appliances as a source of spam. The MX at xtra.co.nz appears to take the same view.

Do any of the non delivery report messages you've received mentioned the sender IP address(es) involved?

David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@PeterPiper wrote:

I am sending a message from my GMail account, using smtp.gmail.com , from the email program Mozilla Thunderbird.  When I send any message this way at the moment, even just a few words of text, if the recipient is a Plusnet customer it is being bounced back as spam.

The advice is the same as my previous post. Send one of the offending messages to your Gmail address (i.e. to yourself), and provide the original source of the received email. Examining this source will allow me to see where the problem lies.

Don't post it here, send it to me directly.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

PeterPiper
Hooked

Bob

Thank you.  I've done that now.

Kind regards

Peter