cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails on mail box size

zpeterk
Grafter

Emails on mail box size

I am getting frequent emails from PN saying my mail box is over 750MB but when I look at the mail box as discribed in the email I only have 300 emails none with large attachements, is there something wrong with the way webmail reports mailbox size.

I am also having difficulty accessing the mail server from my android phone, it times out. It seems to be ok in the middle of the night.

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Emails on mail box size

@zpeterk 

Have you checked that you haven’t got a big deleted items file?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

zpeterk
Grafter

It is empty

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @zpeterk

Thank you for reaching out via our Community Forum.

If you haven't already, please have a look through the specific folders on your webmail to identify where the bulk of space is being taken up. Please see below:

1. Click Personal Settings.
2. Then choose Folders.
3. Click on the folder you want to check.
4. To see the size of the folder, choose Click to get folder size.

it may also be worth setting your email service up with an external email client using POP3 protocol. This should download the contents of your mailbox to your device, freeing up space on the server. further info on having this set up can be found here

Finally, we are currently experiencing some issues with our webmail service which we're working hard to resolve. This is, in some instances, causing emails not to appear correctly. Information on getting around this can be found here -

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Standard-Webmail-Round-Cube-slow-performance-mitigation/td-p/166...

-Adam - Plusnet Leeds

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
zpeterk
Grafter

On web mail it reports the inbox to have 299 messages with a size of 177MB, I cant find any folder with a large amount of files

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @zpeterk,

Have you checked the other folders to see if they contain any additional messages/files?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Do you have any other Plusnet mailboxes you do not look at?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

zpeterk
Grafter

I have other mail boxes but are all very small.

It is the main one I use that PN reports at 847MB but I can only see 299 emails

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

How big are each message? Have you added them up? Appreciate though it may take a while with 299. Some may be fairly large. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
zpeterk
Grafter

I have found I have two folders one called "sent" and one "sent messages" both have quite a lot of emails (540mb), which is the correct one to have and should they not be deleted automatically?

I am using mail on Mac with imap

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi,

There is no automated deletion - you need to do your own house keeping.

Your two folder observation suggests that you are accessing the mailbox from at least two clients and at least one is not playing nicely. Win10 mail is known to make up its own mind where to put sent items rather than using a sent folder which already exists. Therefore you should treat both as being right, on the appropriate client(s).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.