cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails not sending

davidrudd

Emails not sending

Emails which I "send" and which are shown in the Outlook sent box as having been sent successfully are not being received. I have "chatted" with an advisor who simply told me that the settings on my outlook must be wrong but all checks seem to show them as being correct. Microsoft generated test emails are being successfully received in my In box but still nothing is going out.

The last time something like this happened it was emails I should have been receiving but wasn't. It turned out that the emails were all stuck on the  server but I am told that this is not the case this time. Does anyone have a solution?

Current wait time to speak to an advisor is 45 mins!!

5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Emails not sending

which version of Outlook

davidrudd

Outlook 2016. I am using windows 10

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Are you using the default mailbox (where you login using your broadband account name and password), or an additional mailbox which has its own username and password?

Do test messages sent within Outlook 2016 still work?

David
davidrudd

I am using the default mailbox. I spent nearly an hour on the phone with a Plusnet technician when it was clear that there was a problem not with Plusnet but with outlook as we could get everything to work through webmail but outlook was just not sending. Another 45 minutes with Microsoft on remote access seems to have resolved the problem but he had no idea what he had done to resolve it so lets hope it doesn't re-occur!

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Until this topic was raised I hadn't tried setting up a non-SSL/TLS email account in Outlook 2016 - I'd used Thunderbird for those. Doing so leads me to conclude Outlook 2016 "New Account" set up goes wrong with non-SSL/TLS accounts, even if one ensures the "Use SSL/TLS" check-box is not ticked. This might be because it insists in trying to set the account up automatically even if the (hidden) "Let me do it manually" setting has been selected. When "automatic" fails it falls back to "manual" - but seems to be only "part manual", I suspect SSL/TLS is used whether selected or not.

On the other hand if one sets up new accounts in Windows 10 using (Search) Control Panel app, then User Accounts -> Mail (Microsoft Outlook 2016) and Email accounts, manual set up of a non-SSL/TLS account works OK.

A Plusnet account I set up using the method described in the previous paragraph is working fine.

David