cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails not deleting

msharpe2407

Emails not deleting

I have my email clients using the IMAP settings.  Recently whenever I attempt to delete an inbox message from my Android phone (latest update) it simply reappears.  I can delete messages using outlook but plusnet webmail then shows these as grayed out messages within the inbox.  Has anyone else come across this issue?

Thanks

Matt

7 REPLIES 7
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Emails not deleting

Moderator's note:

Moved to appropriate board.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

bigtench
Grafter

Exactly what is happening to me too. I saw a similar post with this kind of problem and the techies at Plus net had to do some re indexing at their end to fix it. Maybe there is an issue that is breaking certain users indexes. Anybody in Plusnet care to chip in?

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@msharpe2407 wrote:

I can delete messages using outlook but plusnet webmail then shows these as grayed out messages within the inbox.

That's normal behaviour because deleting messages in imap folders just sets a "deleted" flag, it doesn't actually remove them so physically they are still there. Unless webmail has deleted the messages itself it lists them but greyed out to indicate the deleted flag is set. Compacting the Inbox, which can be done by clicking the cog bottom left and selecting the compact option, physicaaly removes such messages and recovers the space.

Regarding failure to delete with android, I think moving to topic https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Cannot-delete-Inbox-messages-in-Webmail-or-Email-client/m-p/1507... would help keep discussion in one place.

David
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The normal action when deleting emails via IMAP is actually to move the email to the trash folder - it should therefore disappear from the inbox.

There's three separate users reporting similar issues today - looks like Plusnet have messed something up again - probably in attempting to address the slow webmail issue.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
AdyR

I'm having the same problem. Started happening on Saturday.

The deleted emails appear in my "Recycle bin" folder but then reappear in the inbox a few seconds later.

The phone email client also connects to another IMAP account and that is fine.

Thanks,

Adrian.

msharpe2407

I spoke with Plusnet but they said that because everything seems to be working in Outlook it must be the android email client - but they're ignoring the fact that no other IMAP accounts are showing the same issue....

Hopefully someone is looking at this issue somewhere behind the scenes....

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Finally they are taking a look at the issue. See the response from Kelly two down from the list of people affected I compiled.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Email-Getting-multiple-same-emails-despite-being-deleted/m-p/150...

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)