cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails not being received

nairnster

Emails not being received

Hi...
Today I noticed that I hadn't received any email since Friday. Unusual since I get some junk most days. So I tested by sending myself an email from another account (work account). It didn't arrive (I was checking in my squirrelmail inbox)
The email address I use is associated with a domain registered at 123-reg where it is forwarded to my plusnet account. So I went on the 123-reg control panel and added an additional email address (gmail) to have my mail forwarded to. I sent another couple of test emails to myself from my work account and they arrived at the gmail account but didn't appear in squirrelmail. So I telephoned plusnet tech support who said there had been some maintenance in the early hours (no mention on your service status BTW) and this may have meant that my email was being backed up. They would reset something - now sure what they did - and my emails should start coming through in 30 mins or so. So 30 mins later I sent some more test emails and this time they came through. However, the original test emails have still not come through.... Where did they go? Where did email sent to me since Friday go?
I know that I don't appear to have received email between 26-28 March either... In particular I didn't receive an email sent by my sister on the 28 March... She subsequently rang about the email and resent it to my gmail account, which is why I know it went missing. So I am worried I have missed important emails.
In some way my emails appear to have gone missing between 123-reg and plusnet. Is it possible that some spam filter that I don't know about is blocking emails to my account, by blocking emails from 123-reg ? - although that seems strange since I have the same setup for my wife's email and hers have been coming through with no problems.
Sorry for long email but does anyone have any ideas where the problem could be? I did ring tech support again but they didn't have any ideas either.
kind regards
James
4 REPLIES 4
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Emails not being received

Hi James,  I have sent a PM to Bob to have a look at this for you.
nairnster

Thanks Gary,
I have now realised that Bob Pullen looked at this - or something very similar back in June 2009 - I cant see that he/we reached any definitive conclusions then (we remade the affected mailbox) but he did advise moving my domains over to plusnet which I guess I'll look to do now.... (as an aside - I can't see if mail forwarding is free and possible from the domain name section of the members centre... Does one alter MX records?)
It's very hard to tell but it just maybe that the email disappearing issue is happening over at 123-reg. (You can't turn spam filtering off completely on their site - they allow you to turn the filter right down only - and spam is just deleted as a server level there is no storage) but it doesn't explain why the mail gets to gmail but not to plusnet....
regards
James
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Hi James,
If it happens again, and you can grab my attention whilst the problem's still evident, them I can probably have somebody check the logs at this side. I'd also be able to check the set-up of you mail account to ascertain what, if anything, was broken.
I'm a little miffed by the fact that you were told there was maintenance on Sunday morning though because I'm quite sure there wasn't! Huh
Quote from: nairnster
...as an aside - I can't see if mail forwarding is free and possible from the domain name section of the members centre... Does one alter MX records?

Domains work alongside your Plusnet mailboxes e.g. an email sent to localpart@username.plus.com would end up in the same mailbox as a message sent to localpart@domain.tld. You can set up a redirect for a specific address but that would mean all email for that address being sent elsewhere. You can't have a mailbox and a redirect with the same name. It's one or the other.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

nairnster

As always Thank you Bob for your useful comments
The problem has been sorted... I put in a support ticket but began to work it out myself.  Although still not sure why it was going wrong... The difference between my wife's account and mine - hers worked mine didn't - was that mine was set up in Apple Mail  (my mail client) to leave Junk mail on the server while hers was set to store what Apple Mail considered junk mail on the client computer... so for some reason the junk filtering had gone overboard on my mail client and in trying to replicate that on the IMAP server it was in fact deleting the mail. I watched in squirrel-mail while this happened. Press send and receive using Apple Mail and the email in the iINBOX would disappear...
So changing the mail client settings sorted the problem. I think it wasn't helped by the mail client settings on my smart phone also querying the server in awkward ways or syncing in awkward ways that didn't fit the actual mailboxes available...
(thanks for the response about the domain mail)

Regards
James