cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails not being delivered

Tsonga
Grafter

Emails not being delivered

In the last month, a number of emails I have sent were not received (they did not bounce either). This is clearly a problem, and especially so as I send a lot of work emails from home and I need to be certain that the people for whom they are intended actually get hold of them.
Please could you give me an idea where to start so that the problem can be resolved?
18 REPLIES 18
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Emails not being delivered

I'd suggest you blind cc all emails to yourself - that way when any fail to be delivered you will have details for Plusnet to check the logs.
Any common factors on the emails that failed? E.g. to the same domain?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Tsonga
Grafter

Thanks, will try. One was to free.fr (sent 8 March), one was to wanadoo.fr (sent 9 March), and one was to aol.com (sent 22 march).
Another perhaps unrelated event was that I did not receive an email sent to me on a Hotmail account from an ox.ac.uk address (sent sometime between 24 March and 28 March). The email can't have bounced as the sender was surprised that I had not received it.
PS: I also suspect that another email sent by me to wanadoo.fr was not received more recently.
kdiment
Rising Star

I too have found, over the years, a very small number of emails fail, both outgoing and incoming. I have no idea, of course, whether any others have failed that I don't know about.
Nothing is 100% perfect. Things get lost in the post too. I suspect, without knowing the facts, that a smaller percentage of emailed items fail to be delivered than posted items.
You could always request notification of receipt of any really important emails.
bluewhale
Rising Star

today again and on other days plusnets email servers have been added to blacklists and so emails are being bounced by anyone using those blacklists
i suspect that'll be whats going on...
not good at all, i didn't get any followup as to why plusnet was being added either
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

BlueRhizome,
Any updates on this?
Also I'd reccomend anyone else to follow Jelv's advice so that we can better trace this issue.
bluewhale, which blacklists?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
I'd suggest you blind cc all emails to yourself - that way when any fail to be delivered you will have details for Plusnet to check the logs.
No, all that means is you will receive a email from yourself, it will have no effect what so ever on bounce backs or the content of those bounce backs.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: fourfourdevon
No, all that means is you will receive a email from yourself,

Which will contain a precise time stamp, the SMTP server name and a message id which Plusnet can then use to examine the server logs to see if they can identify what happened.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bluewhale
Rising Star

see this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,93804.0.html
wonder if plusnet could put some check script in place to check all of the common lists for presence of their own servers...
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

FYI just come across this thread, I may suggest merging it with this one: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,94968.0/topicseen.html
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Tsonga
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
BlueRhizome,
Any updates on this?

Hi
So I can confirm that two emails, one to free.fr and one to aol.com were not received by their recipients in the course of March, also subsequent emails to the same people were.
I also did not receive one email from an ox.ac.uk address in March.
No idea why this is, and I agree that three emails is not much to worry about, although when this happens in the course of one month only it's a bit more problematic. It's like losing 36 emails in a year.
I am now using an email tracking program to make sure I don't end up in the same predicament as I did a couple of weeks ago.
Again, I was not blaming Plusnet for anything, just looking for a clue as to how to sort out the issue.
Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I am also suffering this, I have made three attempts to send and e-mail  to a G mail address since 6th April, none have been delivered. I sent one to my son on  a BTinternet account on 4th April, not delivered, tried again tonight with him on the phone, he sent me one to confirm his address, got here in under two minutes, did a direct reply, not received, did a second ten minutes later, got it ok, did a third with a BCC to me, I got the BCC he got nothing
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@pierre_pierre, I've no reason to believe that there's anything untoward with our outbound mail platform. If you can raise a ticket containing the following information then I can probably have somebody scour the logs here to determine whether or not the email actually left our platform? Presumably all spam folders etc. were checked at the recipient's end?

• Email address you're sending from
  • Email address you're sending to
  • Time that you sent the email
  • Confirmation that you were using relay.plus.net to send the message

Quote from: BlueRhizome
So I can confirm that two emails, one to free.fr and one to aol.com were not received by their recipients in the course of March, also subsequent emails to the same people were.
I also did not receive one email from an ox.ac.uk address in March.

The inbound and outbound mail platforms are two completely different beasts so probably best to treat them as such. I know from the post here that AOL in particular have been (incorrectly?) rejecting email from our servers. Out of interest, are you sending from a Plusnet hosted email address? If you're not then it's possible that you wouldn't get failed delivery reports under certain circumstances.
As I mentioned to pierre above, we can check the logs at this side (both inbound and outbound) but we have to be pretty quick as they're only kept for a finite period of time.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Bob  Question No #41633784
I am on free on line so it is relay.free-online.net
I have included the headers from the sent mail and an odd one received from BTinternet that went via Yahoo?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Thanks pierre,
There's only partial headers in your ticket but I'll take a quick look now...
Edit:
Quote from: pierre_pierre
I have included the headers from the sent mail and an odd one received from BTinternet that went via Yahoo?

BT Internet messages will route through Yahoo! because BT partner with Yahoo! for certain aspects of their email provision.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵