cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails going missing

yellowbus

Emails going missing

I am seeing a problem with some emails which I know were sent to me, but do not then appear in Outlook or Gmail.  Reading through the forum, I think some users have had similar experiences, so, perhaps, some-one can suggest a remedy.

For example:

I am subscribed to some mailing lists which are either daily, or who add a serial number to their dispatches- eg digest no 732.  I am still getting most of them, but there are obvious gaps in the sequences.  Therefore, the sender is not being blocked, but some of their messages are not getting to me.

Second situation, which may give more of a clue.  This morning I spoke, by phone, to an organisation who sent me an email to confirm our conversation.  I saw the email on webmail and opened it.  However, it was not picked up by Gmail, and, ten minutes later, the webmail inbox is empty.

Thirdly, I have had conversations with friends who have sent me emails, but I have no sight of them.  Occasionally, if the message included a third party, I have received replies from them without actually seeing the original.

My suspicion is that emails are being deleted from the Plusnet server automatically before I can access them on Gmail or Outlook.  The Gmail setting is via IMAP and "leave a copy of retrieved messages on server", but I am not convinced that it is doing this.  However, even if it is deleting from the server, it must often be doing this before retrieval! 

Further complication is that my wife shares this Plusnet account, with her own mailbox, and only uses Outlook.  She is not aware of any missing emails addressed to her, and she often receives messages which have been sent to both of us, when I have not.

Has anyone got experience of such an issue, and is there a solution?  If it is a Gmail fault, is there a suitable alternative which will run on Android?  And, if messages are being deleted, can they be undeleted if they bypass the Deleted Items folder on webmail?

2 REPLIES 2
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Emails going missing

Do you have email programs (clients/apps) on multiple devices (or on the same device) - desktop PCs, laptops, tablets, phones - which collect your mail? Do any of these use POP3 with or without "leave a copy on the server" being set?

Disappearing after 10 minutes suggests this could be the cause. Have you checked all of them for missing messages?

David
yellowbus

Re: Emails going missing

I did consider that, but it doesn't seem to be the case. The settings for Gmail can only be made on the PC, and I think that the phone is picking up those settings. The only thing I could find in the settings is a thing called "Auto-expunge" which synchronizes deletions between Gmail and the server, but that has not stopped the webmail inbox from emptying itself. I am thinking that I should ditch Gmail, but I don't know what alternatives there are.