cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails getting rejected because of a specific URL in the message

FIXED
Geoff_B

Emails getting rejected because of a specific URL in the message

My wife and I have both been getting problems with sending and receiving emails via our Plusnet accounts when they have a particular URL in the body of the message for a website we manage http://seclimatealliance.uk  . Happens even when it's an entirely plain message.   Using MacBooks Mail email interface but also happens when using Plusnet webmail and iphone.

Here's the message we get: AtwqjvKOcPf7WAtwrjYzod message rejected due to spam or virus. If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team.

Have read some threads about this problem occurring when people forward a message containing someone else's footer, and saw one where it could be fixed by sending messages as plain text.  But there's no HTML here - just a URL.

So it looks like the plusnet server has identified this URL as suspect and is blocking both incoming and outgoing traffic including it.  

What can I do to unblock it?

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Emails getting rejected because of a specific URL in the message

@bobpullen

Can you assist here please?

I can confirm that an otherwise empty email containing only https://seclimatealliance.uk/ is refused by the SMTP relays.

Running the test from my iPhone it (incorrectly) reports the server connections failed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Fix

I've requested the URL reputation is cleaned but there will have been a reason for this. Typically emails containing/from this URL being marked as spam by the wider collective. If the OP sends marketing/service emails, then please make sure your lists are up to date and you honour unsubscribe requests etc. Should all be well again within 24hrs or so.

Edit: should be sorted now Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Bob,

Thank you for the invaluable insight. One can imagine in the current thought paradigm that an organisation such as this might be fairly aggressive in seeking to market their agenda through email.

Conversely those receiving such communications deciding to mark them as spam do as to not receive any more communications rather than unsubscribing from the emailer. Such action will result in the sender acquiring the reputation of being a source of spam.

I can see this domain getting spam black balled again.

A very clear “If you do not want to hear from us again, please just unsubscribe - PLEASE DO NOT MARK AS SPAM”.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

The reports for this one were pretty low TBH. Reports nonetheless though.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Geoff_B

Looks like it's working again.  Will add a rider on future marketing emails to not mark as Spam and hope this does the trick.  Thanks Bob.