cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails from domain name to Gmail addresses rejected

GRM_

Emails from domain name to Gmail addresses rejected

I have been using the same email settings for over 20 years using my domain name from 'Freenetname'. I now find most emails to a Gmail address are rejected. My basic Plusnet email address is XXXX@freenetname.co.uk. I have changed my Thunderbird PC settings to use: relay.plus.net, port 587, START TLS enabled.

The error message I get is:

Reporting-MTA: dns; avasout-peh-004 [212.159.14.20]
Received-From-MTA: dns; [192.168.1.101] [31.125.14.28]
Arrival-Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2023 09:58:27 +0100

Final-recipient: rfc822; XXXX@gmail.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550-5.7.26 This mail is unauthenticated, which poses a security risk to the

Having read other threads I moved my domain name to Fasthosts, still using nameservers ns1.force9.net & ns2.force9.net. I added SPF TXT record 'v=spf1 a mx include:_spf-internal.plus.net include:_spf-internal2.plus.net ~all'

My emails to Gmail addresses are still mostly being rejected. Any suggestions why this hasn't worked for me?

11 REPLIES 11
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Emails from domain name to Gmail addresses rejected

still using nameservers ns1.force9.net & ns2.force9.net. I added SPF TXT record 'v=spf1 a mx include:_spf-internal.plus.net include:_spf-internal2.plus.net ~all'

I dont see how you could have added an spf record if you are still using the Plusnet nameservers ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

If the domain name in question is the one you’ve signed up to the Community with, then doing a lookup here doesn’t show that an SPF record has been added. 

Our domain control system doesn’t allow for the addition of TXT records, the workaround to add an SPF record is through adding an MX record, which we’re then able to use and create the SPF record in the background. 

However, that’s only for a domain hosted on a Plusnet flavour of account. I’m afraid that it is not possible to manually configure the records on a Madasafish branded account (including Freenetname).

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
GRM_

I see that MX toolbox says that there is no SPF record found, which I have tried to set on Fasthosts.

Do I need to use the Fasthosts nameservers?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yeah sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like you’ll have to use Fasthost’s nameservers.

However, if you currently access your domain emails through your Freenetname account, then you’ll also have to change the way you collect/send mail to be through Fasthost instead. Existing mail won’t be transferred automatically, so it’s worth creating a local backup or archive of your emails before going ahead. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419
Moved:

GRM_

Thanks for your help. Do I understand correctly that if I change to the Fasthosts nameservers the SPF will then be applied?

Are you saying that I may have problems if I change to the Fasthosts nameservers using my PN (freenetname) mail server?

We use two maiboxes on our domain name and I see elsewhere that Mythic Beasts has been recommended, would this be a good option?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@GRM_ Do I understand correctly that if I change to the Fasthosts nameservers the SPF will then be applied?

Changing to the Fasthosts nameservers would allow you to create an SPF record, however you would then also need to specify MX records to direct incoming email to the PN servers ( the PN nameservers automatically define the MX records ).

Then there's the question as to whether PN will accept email for a domain that's not using their namservers ? My understanding was that it wasnt possible, but a recent post elsewhere seems to undermine my understanding!.

I see elsewhere that Mythic Beasts has been recommended, would this be a good option?

I'd certainly advise investigating that route further. They provide SPF & DKIM automatically and your email would then be completely separate from any ISP. However you would need to consider whether there's a need to transfer existing mailbox contents from PN to Mythic ( particularly if you use IMAP ).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@GRM_ wrote:

Thanks for your help. Do I understand correctly that if I change to the Fasthosts nameservers the SPF will then be applied?

I think that’s a question for Fasthosts.

@GRM_ wrote:

Are you saying that I may have problems if I change to the Fasthosts nameservers using my PN (freenetname) mail server?

Depends. If you currently access your domain emails via mailboxes on your Freenetname account, and you change the nameservers away from Plusnet, as we’d then no longer be hosting the domain, you’ll have to set up mailboxes with whoever’s hosting the service.

For any existing mail stored on our server (webmail.plus.net) it’s always a good idea to download them to a device by doing an archive or backup via a mail client, especially as you’ll no longer be using your Freenetname mailboxes for your domain emails. 

@GRM_ wrote:

We use two maiboxes on our domain name and I see elsewhere that Mythic Beasts has been recommended, would this be a good option?

Not sure. I personally have no experience with using domain providers for emails. Perhaps other people in the Community may be able to offer advice. 

(edit)

Crossed posts with @MisterW 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

There's a chance it's since moved but the client we use to pick up posts doesn't reflect that Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
GRM_

I spoke to an agent at Fasthosts, they were difficult to understand but I think that they agreed that I would have to use their nameservers to be able to set the SPF. They did say that I would need to copy all my current settings over for it to work when I had changed nameservers.

As far as I can see my domain only has an MX setting and nothing else, would this be correct?

I don't want to risk breaking my email altogether for the next week, so I will put this test off until then.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

As far as I can see my domain only has an MX setting

The MX record defines which servers are hosting your email and will accept email directed at your domain.

As has been said above

If you currently access your domain emails via mailboxes on your Freenetname account, and you change the nameservers away from Plusnet, as we’d then no longer be hosting the domain, you’ll have to set up mailboxes with whoever’s hosting the service.

If you change the domain nameservers to Fasthosts ones, then even if you add the existing MX record back, Plusnet are no longer hosting your domain and will not accept email for it.