cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails dissappearing

Mikelleach
Dabbler

Emails dissappearing

Hi all my emailsmthat are more than 5months old have disappeared.  I need some of them for work how do I get them back

18 REPLIES 18
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Re: Emails dissappearing

Hi @Mikelleach and welcome to the forums!

I'm sorry to hear that you cannot locate emails older than 5 months ago.

Are you using an email client such as Outlook or accessing emails via webmail? If you are using webmail, please log in using either your account username and password or if it's an additional mailbox yourusername+mailboxname (mailbox name is the prefix to the @ symbol) and this mailboxes password to check if these emails are still stored.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
Mikelleach
Dabbler

Hi 

I use mainly my android tablet to access emails, but I have tried your suggestions to no avail.  Could plusnet have archived them

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Mikelleach 

I can confirm (after checking this ticket from our Network Admin team) that we have not archived any of your mailboxes.

I have tried your suggestions to no avail.  

By this do you mean that you are unable to log into your webmail, or that the emails are not showing there either? 

Thanks, 

MoR

Mikelleach
Dabbler

I can log into my account  but there are no emails older than 5 months and I need some that go back 12 - 14 months

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us.

Do you have your mail setup on any devices using the incoming mail server mail.plus.net (POP3) as this may be automatically set on the mail client to either remove mail after a certain length of time or remove mail as soon as it's downloaded to the device.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mikelleach
Dabbler

Hi, all my devices are using an imap address and have always done so.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for the detail.

I've just checked and IMAP clients can also delete mail from a server after x number of days

What devices do you have your mail setup on and can you check the settings for each?

Post up some screenshots showing the settings (blurring out any private information like usernames etc) if it helps

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mikelleach
Dabbler

I use a Samsung galaxy tablet and a Sony Experian xa phone.  Screenshots attached

Mikelleach
Dabbler

I use a Samsung galaxy tablet and a Sony Experian xa phone.  Screenshots attached

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Mikelleach,

Thank you for confirming what devices you're using and for sending those screenshots. Please can you also send over a screenshot of the "more settings" section and we'll see if there are any settings that might be causing your old emails to be deleted.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Mikelleach
Dabbler

Attached should be a screenshot of the general settings.  I can find nothing that would delete the emails from the server.  Strange how only emails over 5 months old have disappeared

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Mikelleach,

Thanks for providing these details so far. Regarding the emails that have disappeared, are they only unavailable after becoming 5 months old exactly? Also, are they still disappearing, as in are there any emails that have recently become older than  5 months that you now cannot access?

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
SpinDryer
Grafter

@Mikelleach wrote:

Attached should be a screenshot of the general settings.  I can find nothing that would delete the emails from the server.  Strange how only emails over 5 months old have disappeared

This screenshot should be deleted as it contains your email address for all to see.

As you're using IMAP, do you by any chance delete the emails in your devices? If so, the auto-sync will delete them from the server.

Mikelleach
Dabbler

I delete some but had purposely not deleted the email

S relating to work,  but every email older than 5 months have disappeared,  The work related emails are important and I know I haven't deleted them.  I need them back