cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails disappeared from Inbox

FIXED
Paul_Aberdeen

Emails disappeared from Inbox

Hello, looking for help recovering emails from on of the emails boxes on my account. My partner was clearing up some old emails in her inbox in Thunderbird,  box beginning ja***e when suddenly the vast majority disappeared, and she's left with only 22 in the folder, from well over 1000. They are not in the deleted folder or anywhere I can access them from webmail. I have had notifications that we were closing in on the 1GB limit, hence the cleanout, but no indication or archiving. Has anyone any suggestions for recovering these?

TIA,

Paul

7 REPLIES 7
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Emails disappeared from Inbox

That's why I use POP3, which d/loads to my laptop, and is easily backed up.
You can nominate some of your POP3 devices to leave copy on server, until main device
has d/loaded.
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hi @Paul_Aberdeen

Thanks a lot for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with your emails. If you're unable to access them on webmail either, please feel free to send across the name on the inbox that the emails have disappeared from. I'll take a quick look from my end and will be happy to raise a task with our NetOps Team to see if we can have them recovered.

Our NetOps Team can recover accounts on a snap shot basis, though I'll keep updated with any progress made.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Paul_Aberdeen

Adam, the email box is [Removed]. There are some emails in the deleted folder, but not any of the ones that disappeared from the inbox.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Thanks for getting back to us @Paul_Aberdeen 

I've raised a NetOps task to try to restore the emails from what's called a snapshot, which is a temporary backup. 

If possible this should be done within the next 3 working days and I'll update you as soon as I know more.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@Paul_Aberdeen 

Which email client is being used here?

I regularly see my iPhone report not mail in mailbox, when I know for sure mail is there (check via webmail).  In that situation, closing and restarting the mail application rectifies matters.  Sometimes an IMAP client can get its sync status with the server messed up and the local IMAP copy of emails needs to be built again.

@Gel 's suggestion of POP3 has merit if the mailbox is being accessed by just one device.  If you have multiple devices accessing the same mailbox, putting POP3 into the mix, invariably cause confusion.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Paul_Aberdeen

@Townman. Email client is Thunderbird on win10. This particular mailbox is setup for IMap, and take your points about syncing, but the emails had also disappeared in webmail, so it wasn't a sync issue. The snapshot restore has recovered the missing emails, be interesting to find out exactly what happened though.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @Paul_Aberdeen 

Was just about to say, I'm happy to confirm we've restored your mail from the temporary snapshot. 

It's difficult to see what happened, but let us know if there are further issues though. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet