Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails delayed being sent to selected domains

FIXED
spindles7
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Emails delayed being sent to selected domains

When I try to send emails from my plusnet email account to two of my domains, the emails are delayed by nearly 9 hours.   Other destination the emails arrive almost immediately.  The domains involved (both on the same hosting company - Netnerd.com) are pingucup.org and tbgc-cpc.org.uk.   Don't know hwether it's relevant, but the headers show this:

0.0 URIBL_BLOCKED          ADMINISTRATOR NOTICE: The query to URIBL was
                             blocked.  See
                             http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/DnsBlocklists#dnsbl-block
                              for more information.
                             [URIs: plus.com]

Any clues as to what is happening here?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Emails delayed being sent to selected domains

You would probably be best asking Netnerd.com why they are blocking mail from Plusnet, although examination of the details in that link may tell you.

AFAIK, PN's mail servers shouldn't be on any reputable blacklist.

John
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

@spindles7 wrote:

Don't know hwether it's relevant, but the headers show this:

0.0 URIBL_BLOCKED          ADMINISTRATOR NOTICE: The query to URIBL was
                             blocked.  See
                             http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/DnsBlocklists#dnsbl-block
                              for more information.
                             [URIs: plus.com]

Any clues as to what is happening here?

That's just a red herring. The URIBL blocklist service is intended, for free users at least, only to be used for low-volume lookups. If you go over their usage limits they'll block the request and that's all that's happening here and SpamAssassin is reporting that fact but note the '0.0' - that's how many points ('spam rating') it attached to the fact which is zero i.e. it is informational and didn't make any difference to the overall evaluation.

You might find some clues within the full headers of a delivered mail if it highlights where the delays were occurring. From what you've said it sounds like the issue is at the receiving end and so as jab1 says it'd be worth raising an issue with them (although note again they're not blocking this mail).

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Thanks, @MJN , I missed the '0.0' spam rating.

John
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

It's certainly not obvious, and indeed the whole message is unnecessarily alarmist!

spindles7
Hooked

Thanks (and also to Jab1) - I'll contact Netnerd and see what they have to say and report back.

spindles7
Hooked

Fix

Contacted Netnerd as suggested and yesterday they were doing an upgrade to their cPanel which they attribute this issue to.   I have sent another test message this morning and the issue has indeed been resolved.   Many thanks for both your advice.