cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails bouncing back - Saying Spam or Virus

StuartUK35
Grafter

Emails bouncing back - Saying Spam or Virus

Trying to send an email from home (using outlook 2007 as client)....
Has always worked up until yesterday....
Now, when sending an email with attachment (say a word doc), it bounces back from System Administrator (cant tell if plusnet admin, or a local setting on my machine) Huh
Comes back with:
Undeliverable
'Kay Carroll' on 15/08/2012 10:45
           552 mxkT1j0080YdzjE01xkVDk message rejected due to spam or virus. If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team.
Weboot anti-virus software finds no bugs, so am stuck as to where to check next ?
Strange how i can send the same email to 1 email (say a hotmail domain) and it delivers OK, but sending where it needs to go, i get the instant bounce message.....
16 REPLIES 16
knowdice
Rising Star

Re: Emails bouncing back - Saying Spam or Virus

I have been getting something similar for a couple of week.
In my case it relates to an anti-spam message that our customer adds to the bottom of their email.
Do you have something similar?
The message is as below for me and the Plusnet outgoing anti-spam doesn't like the "Interdominios.com" bit.

NOTE: This message was trained as non-spam. If this is wrong, please correct the training as soon as possible.
Enseñe a AntiSpam Interdominios a detectar si este email (ID 01HKUUx8c) es Spam:
Entrenar como SPAM
Entrenar como NO SPAM
Olvidar voto
------------------------------------------------------
Sistema AntiSpam de Interdominios.com
------------------------------------------------------
StuartUK35
Grafter

currently researching this issue at the mo.....
am part inclined to think the issue is with PN....  (relates to there anit-spam setup, and somehow, my wifes email address has got on that list!)
If forwarding/replying to a message with the attachment, it seems to bomb from doing that....
The failure straight away would make me think the relay part to PN's mail system is blocking that mail before it passes through and then out onto the internet.....
still reading more into it..
knowdice
Rising Star

I think that Plusnet scan outgoing mail for SPAM as there have been problems with SPAM originating from Plusnet accounts.
We don't seem to have any control over this, unlike the incoming SPAM filter.
StuartUK35
Grafter

yup Smiley
well, there system has picked up my wifes email as spam, which it isn't!  so ticket raised, now just to wait 20 hours before someone reads it and hopefully works there magic! Smiley
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: StuartUK35
552 mxkT1j0080YdzjE01xkVDk message rejected due to spam or virus. If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team.

That error is being generated by our outbound anti-spam platform. The long string is a spam fingerprint string that's being matched. It's almost certainly caused by the content of the email or the address you're trying to send it to.
Strange how i can send the same email to 1 email (say a hotmail domain) and it delivers OK, but sending where it needs to go, i get the instant bounce message.....

That suggests it's the recipient's address that our spam platform doesn't like.
well, there system has picked up my wifes email as spam ...

The system has no problem whatsoever with your wife's email address (I've just checked it). I've passed your ticket through to our Operations Team to ask them to find out what exactly is causing the fingerprint match.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

StuartUK35
Grafter

Heres the weird part....
when trying to forward a message with a word document to someone at her office, it would bounce back each time.
but with a different stamp each time.... (after the 552)
When sending an email without the attachment, to the same mail address, it goes through OK.......
I also logged into the webmail, and sent the same email with the attachment and it got to the mail address....
Soooo, the process of leaving her outlook client and hitting your relay server, your relay is bouncing it... hence sys admin reply and not the postmaster from the receiving end.....
just waiting for the wife to send me some of the stamps to reply to my ticket...

whilst typing this, looks like u already told the support peeps to check settings, etc etc Smiley
all good now! Smiley
knowdice
Rising Star

Seems like Plusnet use a system by Cloudmark to decide if outgoing emails are spam or not.
If it's recognised in the Cloudmark signature database as spam then it gets rejected.
Would be useful if the bounce message had more information as to why it's being rejected and some indication that it was Cloudmark that was rejecting...
I also guess that Plusnet have a subscription with Cloudmark to update their database automatically, so should we contact Plusnet or Cloudmark to get a blacklisted domain removed?
Its strange that webmail should act differently from emails hitting relay.plus.net but there is probably a logical reason.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

One possible difference with webmail is that it may be sending in plain taxt whereas the normal system may be using html format
StuartUK35
Grafter

my other half has just told me that she cant send/reply to emails on her iphone this morning Sad  (that sends as plain text)
No matter who she tries to email, it replies straight away with a rejection....
Last week, she was on Orange with an iphone...
This week, she is on o2 network on a new iphone, with the same mail settings applied to the new phone...
So either a setting on her iphone has gone wrong, or message cant relay over o2, or the Cloudmark still doesnt like her ?! Smiley
knowdice
Rising Star

This sounds like a different problem
Is she using the O2 smtp server or or Plusnet relay.plus.net ?
StuartUK35
Grafter

relay, as same settings have been applied...
not raising a ticket on that, as will wait to see the phone myself later Smiley
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Check the relay server's port settings, port 25 is sometimes blocked on mobile networks.
That's RPM to you!!
creamola
Grafter

I have raised a formal ticket for this: 58879931 as this is definately a problem with the Plusnet Spam gateway rejecting email as spam, if it contains any graphics. Pure text (HTML) messages are delivered to Plusnet recipients fine.
I have tested sending email containing graphics to different Plusnet and non Plusnet recipients and in each case, email containing graphics has been rejected as SPAM by Plusnet but the same email has been accepted by other non Plusnet recipients.
If I send an email containing inserted graphics to a Plusnet recipient from Gmail, then the response back is:
"Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 571 571 5.7.1 Message contains spam or virus or sender is blocked : 348:951760640|641558B (state 17)."
If I send the same message from my corporate email:
"The following organization rejected your message: imf07.hostedemail.com.
Diagnostic information for administrators:
imf07.hostedemail.com #<imf07.hostedemail.com #5.7.1 smtp;571 5.7.1 Message contains spam or virus or sender is blocked : 15970:1713743616|77032FD> #SMTP#"
You could help me confirm these findings by also testing to see if plain text emails to Plusnet email addresses is delivered fine and if so, test sending something containing a graphic and see what happens then.
Thanks
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think we can assume that if the Plusnet mail servers were rejecting all emails containing graphics then the call centre (and these forums) would be flooded with complaints - and there's no evidence to that effect. Such messages to me or that I send arrive without problems.
So in my opinion logic suggests the problem is with what you are trying to send. It might not be the content directly, it could be the format in which it is presented. Sometimes error messages report symptoms and not a precise description of the problem.
David