Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails being archived without permission

MelYoung71
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Emails being archived without permission

My emails have disappeared from my inbox.  I didn't receive any notice that this was going to happen.  Please reinstate my emails.

10 REPLIES 10
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Emails being archived without permission

@MelYoung71 I doubt your emails have been archived 'without warning' - there is an automated system that issues a number of warnings before the final act.

Have you checked all your mailboxes? - although as I understand it the warning are sent to the 'default' mail account.

Are you using webmail or an IMAP-configured client?

John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Chat to Email 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

"Permission" is not needed to archive mailboxes which exceed the Fair Usage Policy.

Warning emails are sent to the contact email address registered on a user's account.  Some users do not bother to monitor that email account and then claim that they have not been notified.

Email archiving

Plusnet has two email content archiving 'events'

1. Exceeding the Fair Usage Policy (FUP): This is invoked when the sum of the contents of all of your email boxes exceeds the 1GB FUP allowance. Users will have received warning notices for several weeks, having exceeded 75% of the FUP. After 2 warnings of having exceeded 100% of the FUP, mailboxes are archived to bring the FUP utilisation down below 100%. The act of archiving emails is recorded in the user's ticket history - see the PN tickets link below - notification emails are sent to the contact email address, as specified by the user, under their contact preferences in the account details - it is imperative that this email address is monitored at all times
  2. Mailbox not accessed for a while: After a period of not accessing a mailbox (it not being logged into) the contents are archived. An email is sent to that mailbox advising of the archiving action, after it has been archived. No record of the action is recorded in the ticket history

Archives are retained for 30 days. When making a request to unarchive emails, it is very helpful to inform staff which of the above archives appears to have been performed - it stops them looking for non-existent tickets!

Plusnet account holders can try to raise a ticket here.  If that does not work, please post back here.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MelYoung71
Dabbler

I did not receive any warning emails.

MelYoung71
Dabbler

I am not using webmail.  I didn't receive any warning emails.

MelYoung71
Dabbler

Please unarchive my emails.  Thanks

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

"Webmail" has no relevance to the discussion, it matter not what email client you use, it is the storage on the server which is relevant.  If you have exceeded the FUP then your mailbox(es) will have been archived.

Have you checked your ticket history as advised?

Have to checked the contact email address registered on your account in the user settings as advised?

Have you checked the SPAM folder?

This discussion has been raised with Plusnet support on a number of occasions - review on cases has shown that everyone who has claimed not to have not received an email has (a) found the tickets in their ticket history confirming that the emails were sent when they looked and (b) confessed that the email address to which the ticket notifications were sent they have not been monitoring - typically because that is an old (now not used) email address and they have failed to update the contact details on their account.

Also the archiving process has inter-locks which prevent a mailbox being archived if the emails have not been sent.

There have however been cases where users report that the emails have been "archived" in situations where they (unwittingly ?) have configured an email client in POP3 mode which REMOVES emails from the server after reading them.  It is also not unheard of for an email account to have been compromised from (often by the user using their email address and the same password on) a third party site.  If you think this could apply to you, then it would be wise to change the password on the mail address.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@MelYoung71 wrote:

Please unarchive my emails.  Thanks

Please follow the process indicated above - raise a ticket via the link provided.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Superuser citation

This topic has been cited by one of the Superusers; the purpose of which is to provide a note for information which might help to focus continued discussion with Plusnet (but might not result in a staff response).

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I trust that you have now found the notification emails which were sent or know where they went to?