cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails and Folders apparently 'archived' without ANY warning !

BertLilly87

Emails and Folders apparently 'archived' without ANY warning !

Sined into my e-mail and found all of my emails and folders had 'disappeared'.  No warning given !  I can 'find' some of the emails via the search function, but none of the folders.  Not what I would call 'doing me proud' !   Not able to chat online and waiting time for customer service is excessive.  Thoughts/Solutions anyone ?  Looks like other people have had similar experiences when they have  gone over their limits,....I have not.   

9 REPLIES 9
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Emails and Folders apparently 'archived' without ANY warning !

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from General Chat to Email.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi @BertLilly87 

A warm welcome to the forums.  Chat is closed for support ... despite what the user portal or communication emails advise.

Email archiving

Plusnet has two email content archiving 'events'

1. Exceeding the Fair Usage Policy (FUP): This is invoked when the sum of the contents of all of your email boxes exceeds the 1GB FUP allowance. Users will have received warning notices for several weeks, having exceeded 75% of the FUP. After 2 warnings of having exceeded 100% of the FUP, mailboxes are archived to bring the FUP utilisation down below 100%. The act of archiving emails is recorded in the user's ticket history - see the PN tickets link below; emails are sent to the contact email address as specified by the user under their contact preferences in their account details
  2. Mailbox not accessed for a while: After a period of not accessing a mailbox (it not being logged into) the contents are archived. An email is sent to that mailbox advising of the archiving action, after it has been archived. No record of the action is recorded in the ticket history

Archives are retained for 30 days. When making a request to unarchive emails, it is very helpful to inform staff which of the above archives appears to have been performed - it stops them looking for non-existent tickets!  Try to raise a ticket Here.  If that does not work, please post back here.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

twilliams
Hooked

We are having the same problems My wife's webmail account just keeps losing emails from the in-box. I sent two yesterday to her, they arrived, but this morning they had disappeared. She is so frustrated that all her emails have gone. More frustratingly for me is the inability to contact Plusnet to discuss this. Their on-line chat is not working. For three days I have attempted to telephone them only to get the recorded message that they are very busy and to call back later or the next day. From other posts this may be an archive problem - but how do we resolve this?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@twilliams 

You have a very different problem.  The problem on this thread refers to the total archiving of mail boxes.  This is not something which happens day by day.

@Strat @Mav ... can you please split this off to its own topic?

If you see emails appear in the mailbox ... and then they disappear within a few hours ... then something she is using is either removing them, or hiding them.

You have not said how she is accessing them - webmail or an email program on her computer / phone / tablet.

You have not indicated if more than one device is accessing the mailbox - if there is and one (or more) is set up as POP3 then indeed emails might well 'disappear' into that device's local store.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

twilliams
Hooked

Hi Townman,

Many thanks for your valuable comments. My wife only uses her webmail account on her laptop and ipad. None of which contain emails more than a few hours old. I can access her webmail account but can find no emails on my system of hers. I am afraid that I do not know what a 'local store' is but assume it is an accessible file on out email system. I have this morning set up emails on her iphone which can now receive and send emails but alas no evidence of old emails.

Not sure where to go with this - may have to recruit a grandchild. Your comments and assistance are mush appeciated.

Cheers

Tom

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Tom,

That is helpful relevant information - now three devices in use.

Just to confirm the diagnostics here ....

When you say she uses “webmail on...” fo you really mean that, as in using a web browser pointing to http://webmail.plus.net or are you using that term to mean access her mail by another email program on those devices?

Can she see yesterday’s emails today?

Do they disappear after they have been read?

If using a mail program on those devices, if she accessed the mail box using the webmail interface does she see other emails?

Are the ‘lost’ emails in the deleted items folder?

If using an email program on the devices can you please inspect the email account settings on all of the three devices to check that the accounts are set up as IMAP not POP/POP3. On the iDevices that is indicated just above the NAME field in grey in the account settings.

twilliams
Hooked

Hi Townman,

Thank you for the prompt reply. To answer your questions - we use google chrome as a web browser to access webmail.plus.com where we have our two individual webmail addresses. Emails arriving this morning stayed din the in-box for around an hour before disappearing, read and unread. No other emails are visible within the in-boxes on any of the devices. We have checked for the 'missing' emails in the deleted, draft, deleted and junk files with no success. When setting up the emails on her iPhone this morning I used the POP3 setting which sends and receives emails. The laptop is also set up that way - we are now straying into the limits of my computer capabilities.

Regards

Tom

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Tom,

Worry not, I think you've got to where we need to be.  If you want to look at an email address on different clients, using different tools (web browser and a laptop / phone / tablet application) it is far easier if they are all configured as IMAP.

Any one of them setup as POP3 will REMOVE them from the server in the exact manner you have described.  Having two POP3 devices will create even bigger headaches, as when ech POP3 device connects in turn, it will remove from the server that which is there at that time.  Further with POP3 email clients, a sent item is on,y on the device which sent it, therefore there is no one wholistic view of the email history.

This will take some diligent unpicking, without which email history is going to be lost.  I suggest that as an imperative, the POP3 email devices be inhibited from accessing email by corrupting the passwords in their set up details.

twilliams
Hooked

Hi Townman,

Thanks for taking the time to look at this problem and your evaluations. If I understand you, I should go back and change the incoming server to IMAP instead of POP3 on all the devices. 

I shall give this a go and let you know how we get on.

Appreciate your assistance.

Tom