cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails after leaving

alterego
Dabbler

Emails after leaving

I am very reluctantly switching my ISP to a local wireless/fibre outfit, as BT have been promising an upgrade to our line for years and 0.5Mb doesn't really cut it these days.
Plusnet have said that it should be possible to retain an email address, but I'm not clear is this includes other addresses on the same account. Has anyone any experience? I still have an AOL address from nearly 20 years ago, but I don't know if Plusnet are the same, and losing my wife's emails is not something I relish... 🙂
15 REPLIES 15
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Emails after leaving

I may be wrong but I think you need to pay for keeping your email account, but I know some one who will know, I have sent Bob a PM he will let you know!
alterego
Dabbler

Thanks - I'll wait to hear. I don't mind paying, as long as it's reasonable!
alterego
Dabbler

I haven't heard yet - will it be here or a message?
Sorry to sound impatient, but I'd like to know if I can keep it!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You need to pay http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/cancellation.shtml
General Policies
    When a customer wishes to cancel for any reason, we will treat the request promptly, and with a view to making the cancellation or migration process as smooth as possible.
    In all cases, when an account cancellation request is raised, we will investigate the reasons and identify if any additional support can be offered, in order to resolve the cause of the cancellation request.
    Before we process a cancellation request, we will check for domain names, home phone service and other account features which will be lost following the cancellation. We will make customers aware of the implications of cancelling their account and provide advice on moving these services if requested.
    All customers, when cancelling, will be asked to complete a voluntary feedback survey. The results of which will be analysed regularly to highlight areas in which we need to improve.
    When an account is closed, access to all account features provided by Plusnet will be removed. This includes email, hosted web-space and Member Centre access (including discussion forums and access to the Help Assistant Ticketing system).
  It is possible, when requesting an account cancellation, to request a downgrade to a mail only package for £20 a year instead of full account closure. This will allow continued access to email and some member centre features. This option must be requested at the time of cancellation.
alterego
Dabbler

Thank you, Oldjim. Do you know if that includes other email addresses on the same account? I have five, all xxx@name.plus.com
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

yes it includes all of them
alterego
Dabbler

Thanks again. Final question (I hope) - is it possible just to keep the addresses and forward the emails to others?
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

It would be a lot easier to buy your own domain name and not have this problem in the future once you've changed. I've been using the same email addresses on several ISPs and webmail platforms
alterego
Dabbler

Fair point, drj. I do have a Gmail address, which I use for some things, but I have had the Plusnet one for over ten years (and over 50,000 emails), and in that time have registered quite a few on-line accounts, and changing their details (even remembering some!) would be a long job.
I may still take your advice, but I would like some time to transfer...
x47c
Grafter

Changing your registered email address with organisations is the simple one in relative terms.
The REAL problem is all those umpteen hundreds of people and both one off and regular contacts etc who have your email address in their address book, not to mention the ones who have passed on your email address to others.
Even if you could locate/list most them,  asking them to change your stored address in their address book is likely to have no effect whatsoever.
alterego
Dabbler

Absolutely! There are also lots of on-line forums and accounts that have my existing address and I can't remember half of them! I'm pleased to know that I can keep the ones I've got - it will save a lot of hassle, and well worth £20/year.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: alterego
I haven't heard yet - will it be here or a message?
Sorry to sound impatient, but I'd like to know if I can keep it!

I've been out of the country these last couple of weeks which is why you've not heard from me. Reading subsequent replies I'm guessing everything's now sorted? If not, give me a nudge and I'll be happy to help.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

alterego
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply, Bob. Everything is pretty well sorted, thanks - I still seem to be getting my emails and even the use of webspace, which makes me wonder if the broadband meter is still running, as it were. The wireless connection is pretty good, and it strikes me as ironic that by the time BT finally install fibre here, everyone who wants it will have already voted with their feet!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

The broadband account /is/ still active. We've received confirmation of your landline cessation today though so I've just changed the account to mail only for you.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵