cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email - won't work

SkylineUK
Grafter

Email - won't work

I'm a new customer this week and all seemed well.  Broadband up and ok straight away.  Email - a crock.
I've set it up properly in Outlook 2007, test button there works.  But the test email Outlook sends goes to Webmail ok ( I see it in the box there) - but when I send and receive in Outlook it disappears between webmail and my PC.  The same goes for test mails I send from my office system and any I ask friends to send.  Inexplicably, one test I sent from the office got through this morning, but no others since.
What on earth is going on???
Tags (1)
19 REPLIES 19
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Email - won't work

Quote from: SkylineUK
But the test email Outlook sends goes to Webmail ok ( I see it in the box there) - but when I send and receive in Outlook it disappears between webmail and my PC.

Can you elaborate on this sentence? Are you saying that the email disappears but you can't find it anywhere in Outlook? Or can you see the email in Outlook but just not in Webmail?
When downloading messages using POP3 the default behaviour is to remove the email from the server. If you want emails to be visible in both Webmail and Outlook then you need to tell Outlook to leave copies of the messages on the server, or alternatively consider using IMAP to access your mail

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Tags (1)
SkylineUK
Grafter

Hi Bob
Sorry, let me clarify.  I send an email from my office (by accessing our server from home where I am today).  Email appears straight away in my PlusNet webmail inbox.
Open Outlook.  Send and receive occurs.  No emails are received in any box,( In, Junk, Deleted, nowhere.).  Go back and refresh PlusNet webmail.  No messages left, ie. webmail consdiers them sent.
I have no idea why one solitary test got through this morning; I can't repeat it.  No rejection comes back to my office email.  If, when sending the email from my office I add receipt and read trackers none come back, evidencing that the test has not reached my Outlook.  Conclusion: they are reaching your server, being sent to me but becoming zapped on the way. 
Any ideas?
PS: I have no idea what IMAP is.  But I don't see why on earth normal POP connections are failing.
Tags (1)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you tried with virus protection temporarily disabled?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Tags (1)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this something simple like TCP port 110 (pop3) being blocked by either the router or PC firewall to incoming packets ?
Unfortunately I am not familiar with the oddities of Outlook, as I have always used Pegasus/Evolution/Thunderbird/etc,
I am wondering if the incoming POP3 packets were blocked and Outlook did a "RETR" (message retrieve), and blindly did a "DELE" (delete message on server), without waiting for an "ACK" from the message retrieve, then that *might* explain what is going on.
Just a thought !
SkylineUK
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Have you tried with virus protection temporarily disabled?

Yes, Nod32 switched off.
Test emails still appear on Squirrel (?) WebMail but nothing at all is coming in to Outlook.
I've had a long session with our friends in Mumbay and all he did was talk me through the normal Outlook setup, i.e. deleting the setep I'd done and re-inputtng the same information.  He then said to leave it for an hour (two hours ago) and he would 'reset'.  Still nothing.
This could be the record for the shortest period anyone has signed up to an ISP and then departed.  (We also have no landline phone now and for another three weeks, having signed up for the whole package and PlusNet giving an incorrect swap date to BT....)
Couldn't be much worse really.  Sad
SkylineUK
Grafter

Quote from: purleigh
Is this something simple like TCP port 110 (pop3) being blocked by either the router or PC firewall to incoming packets ?
Unfortunately I am not familiar with the oddities of Outlook, as I have always used Pegasus/Evolution/Thunderbird/etc,
I am wondering if the incoming POP3 packets were blocked and Outlook did a "RETR" (message retrieve), and blindly did a "DELE" (delete message on server), without waiting for an "ACK" from the message retrieve, then that *might* explain what is going on.
Just a thought !

Many thanks.  I'll see if I can check that out tonight.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

who's your friend in Mumbay?, I suggest you ring the PN service instead Cool Cool
https://portal.plus.net/wizard/index.html?Ea82ChdSAqqwtYJcjZV%2Fjl8BeHfnW7ogintwEp4hB3LFyRVJeEpVZrrG...
SkylineUK
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
who's your friend in Mumbay?, I suggest you ring the PN service instead Cool Cool
https://portal.plus.net/wizard/index.html?Ea82ChdSAqqwtYJcjZV%2Fjl8BeHfnW7ogintwEp4hB3LFyRVJeEpVZrrG...

That's what I did...  Roll_eyes
SkylineUK
Grafter

Some progress.
Out of curiosity I set up Outlook Express and email works in there fine.  Anyone know what could be the crucial difference between Outlook Express and Outlook 2007 and what I might need to change in the latter?
Thanks for all your offers of help on this conundrum.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

trouble is we dont have a call centre in India, we do have one in Durban South Africa, and One in Sheffield, even there we have people of different nationalities
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I've set up both Outlook 2003 and Outlook Express using the same POP3 mail settings and both just "worked". Obviously Outlook 2007 could be different but I would be surprised if it is.
Mail disappearing sounds very much like antivirus problems on your computer. AVG has been known not to set up the Outlook plug-in correctly, particularly if a firewall intervenes. AVG and ZoneAlarm in particular fall out from time to time. I believe Nod32 has caused problems with Outlook in the past, though I'm not familiar with the history of those.
I know with AVG turning it off is not usually sufficient to eliminate interface problems it has to be uninstalled. If Nod32 causes problems perhaps the same applies?
Sorry, lots of speculation, limited facts. Have you checked whether Google shows anything related to this problem?
David
SkylineUK
Grafter

Update for anyone interested.
I uninstalled the whole of Office 2007 and reinstalled Office 2000.  Outlook now works with Plusnet email!  Success...but  Roll_eyes
Dare I now install Office 2007 again, hoping the above physical jerks have cured the original problem, or will I be putting myself back where I started?  Undecided
Perhaps if I back the whole darn PC up in Acronis first....
Mind you, Excel and Word 2000 are so much better than the almost unusable 2007 equivalents.  Anyone know if I could just install Outlook 2007 and run it with all the rest of Office at version 2000?  From memory, the 2007 install disk doesn't give you a components menu - it's all or nothing.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

AFAIK Outlook 2007 doesn't work properly and vice versa (I looked at Office 2007 Students Edition with Outlook 2003 and it apparently wouldn't work at all)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Get the Free Open Office and Thunderbird, they work with all the M$ files