cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email won't send - IP address has poor reputation

whitecottage
Dabbler

Email won't send - IP address has poor reputation

In a rental in Spain.  New superfast internet all good except plusnet (and bt) will not allow outgoing SMTP.  It looks like the IP address here (62.82.74.170) is on a block list.  Getting error 535 authentication rejected as source IP has poor reputation.  

Given up trying to raise a ticket. Is that not possible anymore?

Any suggestions?  We've still got the "old" internet here which works fine.

5 REPLIES 5
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Email won't send - IP address has poor reputation

Your IP is on a list.

IP Address 62.82.xxx.xxx is listed in the CBL. It shows signs of being infected with a spam sending trojan, malicious link or some other form of botnet.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
whitecottage
Dabbler

Thanks.  Is it the range or specific IP?  If I ask for IP to be changed I guess it is likely to be in same range and similarly affected? 

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

The report suggests a single public IP but I couldn't be sure if a block is compromised.

I would suggest speaking to the ISP and seek their advice.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

So you want to change IP and give your current IP to someone else so they have problems? Nice!

Are you on a fixed IP? If not a disconnect/connect should get you a new IP - it could be a previous user of the IP who got it listed.

If you are on fixed:

• If you still have a problem your new IP will be blacklisted sooner or later.
  • If the problem is cured you need to ask the ISP's help to get off the list.

Either way you need to know

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
whitecottage
Dabbler

Thank you for your replies.  I was staying in a resort near Marbella where hundreds of apartments have recently had fibre cable TV and internet installed (Wikiker).  The TV is robbed off Freesat and cabled in using Freeview channels, but that's not the point of this thread, interesting though it may be....  It appears that the external IP address of all subscribers is the same.  This may be all their customers and not just those in this particular urbanization??  I guess someone is always likely to be spamming from an infection somewhere in this pool if it's big enough.  Apparently they know about the problem and have raised it with their supplier (Vodafone).  I'm not sure how this can/will be resolved. It's not my apartment, but if it were I'd be wondering how I was going to be my remote access to my NAS or Slingbox to work...