cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email to many addresses failing

gladman
Grafter

Email to many addresses failing

After more than a week now, my email to academic addresses is STILL failing. 
Can you please give more frequent updates (e.g. daily) on what is being done to resolve this issue, one for which I believe a resolution is now long overdue.
33 REPLIES 33
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Email to many addresses failing

Providing daily updates is something we had thought about doing for this issue, however there is little need for this as the situation isn't changing day to day so we've made the decision to set updates every 2/3 days or when we have more information. Sorry that this has been going on for as long as it has, however our networks team are still working hard to resolve this issue.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
gladman
Grafter

Thank you for your comment.  At the time I made my original post here, the last update was last week but I now see that you have updated today.
But your update really doesn't give me much confidence in a speedy resolution. 
If I understand correctly, your servers are now being monitored by the blacklist provider to see it they are no longer a source of SPAM messages.
How long do they have to be SPAM free in order to be removed? 
Do you now believe them to be SPAM free - that is are we just waiting for the blacklist provider to conform this or are they still seeing SPAM?
And, of course, most importantly, can you confirm that you are now making changes to better ensure that your servers don't get onto such blacklists in the first place.
I am sorry if you feel I am being unreasonable but I see a solid and reliable email capability as very important.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI gladman,
Quote from: gladman
How long do they have to be SPAM free in order to be removed?

Unfortunately they don't give us a definitive answer when we've asked that question. (rather like this answer!)
Do you now believe them to be SPAM free - that is are we just waiting for the blacklist provider to conform this or are they still seeing SPAM?

There will always be some SPAM and although we got rid of the original offenders it may be that MAPS are now being more strict because of the original SPAM
And, of course, most importantly, can you confirm that you are now making changes to better ensure that your servers don't get onto such blacklists in the first place.

Yes, we are always looking at ways to improve the way we manage this kind of thing.
I am sorry if you feel I am being unreasonable but I see a solid and reliable email capability as very important.

Don't think you're being unreasonable at all, and I totally agree.
Jojo Smiley
knowdice
Rising Star

The other question is - what can Plusnet do to ensure that this doesn't happen again?
Doh didn't read the thread properly...sorry...
randpwar
Grafter

I don’t mean to hijack this thread but I had an occurrence last week whereby I tried to send an email to the distribution list (about 50 email addresses) of a local sports association that I run the website for, but received an error message. The very helpful support guy at Plusnet suggested that this email may be interpreted as spam and advised me to split up the list to send it; this I did and all was well.
In her reply Jojo says ‘Unfortunately they don't give us a definitive answer when we've asked that question. (rather like this answer!)’ and ‘There will always be some SPAM and although we got rid of the original offenders it may be that MAPS are now being more strict because of the original SPAM’; are MAPS the ‘they’ in the first quote from Jojo, why are they blocking my emails (sorry, I missed the start of this issue being discussed here) and will I be able to send an email to the whole of the distribution list the next time I need to?
Thanks
Rob
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Rob,
You shouldn't have a problem sending 50. What error did you get?
Jojo Smiley
randpwar
Grafter

Hi Jojo,
I've just tried again and received the same error:
'The size of the message you are trying to send exceeds a temporary size limit of the server. The message was not sent; try to reduce the message size or wait some time and try again. The server responded:  ... temporary failure.'
The email has about 10 lines and no attachments. I'm using Thunderbird and have never previously had any problems sending an email to this email group
randpwar
Grafter

Hi Jojo,
Please see my previous post; any update?
I can pm you my user name and email address if it helps
Rob
randpwar
Grafter

Sorry to bounce this one back up the list but I think it’s been overlooked. I’m still unable to send an email to 50 email addresses as I receive the error message below in Thunderbird
'The size of the message you are trying to send exceeds a temporary size limit of the server. The message was not sent; try to reduce the message size or wait some time and try again. The server responded:  ... temporary failure.'
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Have you tried sending via webmail or using gmail for example?
When I try to send to large numbers of recipients from the US I can't do this using PN outgoing server relay.plus.net but have to change this to a local ISP server.
randpwar
Grafter

Thanks artmo  Smiley  I have only very recently been unable to send this amount of emails from one email; Obviously I'm very keen to be able to do so again
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

And it certainly looks as though Plusnet are not responding to your post reply #7 now 8 days ago.  Roll_eyes
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Really sorry we've been so long coming back to this. randpwar, is the issue still apparent now we're no longer on the blacklist? Unsure if that could have been the reason behind it. If it is, it'd probably be best to drop a ticket in with details of the issue and any error messages for the attention of our networks team and they'll look into it for you. Happy to forward it on for you if you could drop a line in here when you've raised it.
randpwar
Grafter

No worries Matt, these things happen  Smiley
I last tried on the 30th and received the error message. Sorry but I’ve no idea if that date is after we were removed from the blacklist or not; perhaps you could confirm?