Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email setting for force9 iphone 6

g10vanni
Dabbler

Email setting for force9 iphone 6

Hi

I'm having problems when trying to send emails from my iPhone 6. If I send an image from my iPhone using my primary account and send it to say my Hotmail account it works fine.  or any other account that belongs to me.

The problem arises when I try and send the same image to any other account belonging to any friend, they just wont let me send them, they always end up in my outbox

Any help appreciated

Giovanni

Incoming server mail.forc9.net

outgoing server relay.force9.net port 587

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Email setting for force9 iphone 6

Have a look at your personal account settings here - Other settings for manual connection

and use those along with these instructions - What other settings do I need

and compare what you are doing with this - Set up an email account on your iPhone

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

To technically decomplicate the issue...

Can you successfully send any email to said friend from your iPhone - that is it is only when attaching an image you have problems?  Does rather sound as though basically the iPhone might be already configured OK...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

g10vanni
Dabbler

It's only when I try and attach an image to the email that it will not send, normal emails are fine ????

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@bobpullen,

In the process of accepting an email for relay, does the SMTP server enquire about the maximum attachment size for the RECEIVER's mail service?

I could well understand that the relay server has a maximum permitted attachment size, but that I would not expect to apply per addressee - that is such a constraint to be applied differently as described by the OP.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

g10vanni
Dabbler

No the server does not enquire about the file size, I have tried sending various sizes right to the smallest available ( about 25kb) and they all fail to send

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@g10vanni - I doubt that you would have any awareness of this taking place.  My question was direct at one of the forum email gurus...

HOWEVER your response does rather indicate a general issue with processing attachments to those addressees.

g10vanni
Dabbler

Cheers for the response I'll wait  and see if anybody can resolve this issue

all the best

Giovanni

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Townman wrote:

@bobpullen,

In the process of accepting an email for relay, does the SMTP server enquire about the maximum attachment size for the RECEIVER's mail service?

No, but as we've established - that doesn't seem to be the issue here.

First questions I'd ask is what is the phone connected to when trying to send? Plusnet wifi connection/Plusnet router? Mobile connection? Something else?

Is it the native iPhone Mail app being used, or something else?

How is the image being attached?

How is the email being addressed? By reply? By address book? By manually typing the recipient's email address?

Fairly certain this isn't going to be something server-side.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks Bob - one had presumed that all things being equal the means of addressing are identical.

g10vanni
Dabbler

It doesn't seem to matter what connection I am using whether It be PlusNet wifi or mobile 4g connections.

I am using iPhone mail app.

I tend to select the image and then use mail program  to send

I use the address book for my email and no reply

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Be interesting to see if manually addressing the emails makes any difference, rather than using address book. If there's stuff in your Outbox, I'd also suggest purging it all, in case an old email is playing silly buggers. Final steps off the top of my head would be to reset the iPhone's network settings, and try deleting/recreating the account in Mail.

I have an iPhone 6 I can try replicating the issue from, but given I've not seen similar complaint elsewhere, I'm not sure there's much merit in that.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

LoneBee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I sm also having recurring problems with sending emails from pmus net accounts kn my IPhone 6. Every time I reconfigure them they work for a few weeks then fail and I get a message that the connection to the outgoing server “relay.plus.net” failed. Even though I have not changed anything on my phone or email accounts.