Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email set up to use with my domain email address

wallofbeans
Dabbler

Email set up to use with my domain email address

Hi All,

Just joined Plusnet today. Moved from BT and all went very smoothly. 

I just need to figure out how to sort out my emails. What I have is a domain name I pay for and email addresses that I use for work through it. They've previously been forwarded to an email address with BT and all worked smoothly.

But I can't remember how I did it! Or what I need to do to get the same thing working on Plusnet.

Does anyone know what I am talking about? I don't know the terminology so I'm not sure I'm making much sense!

Any advice?

19 REPLIES 19
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Email set up to use with my domain email address

@wallofbeans 

You need to go into your domain email settings where you will find the forwarding page. You just change this from your old BT address to your Plusnet one.

I have a similar set up and I handle mine differently in that my Outlook email client is set to send through the Plusnet SMTP server but receive from my domain.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

wallofbeans
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 

So... my domain settings are the 123Reg account...?

But I don't have email addresses with Plusnet to forward anything to... how do I set those up?

Baldrick1

@wallofbeans 

The instructions are here:  https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/

Moderator and Customer

wallofbeans
Dabbler

Ok. So I go to set up an email address or two. And it asks me: Where do you want email for this address to be delivered?

- Deliver to one of my existing mailboxes

- Deliver to a new mailbox with its own login and password

- Deliver to another email address

I'm only setting up these email addresses to be covers for other email addresses my partner and I have set with my our own domains. Outside of that, we'll use gmail email addresses for signing up to newsletters etc.

Which one of these do I choose to do that?Huh

Baldrick1

@wallofbeans 

If you choose one of my existing mailboxes you will probably find at least one set up by default. It's up to you whether you want to access it.

Moderator and Customer

wallofbeans
Dabbler

There was a default "postmaster" mailbox set up. But I need two additional mailboxes for these accounts. Which option do I choose to make this work? Can anyone advise?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@wallofbeans wrote:

Ok. So I go to set up an email address or two. And it asks me: Where do you want email for this address to be delivered?

- Deliver to one of my existing mailboxes

- Deliver to a new mailbox with its own login and password

- Deliver to another email address

I'm only setting up these email addresses to be covers for other email addresses my partner and I have set with my our own domains. Outside of that, we'll use gmail email addresses for signing up to newsletters etc.

Which one of these do I choose to do that?Huh

Hi,

I suspect that there is missing clarity of what you want to do here.

What do you mean by covers?

Are you wanting to have...

• fred@yourdomain to go to fred@youraccount.plus.com
  • freida@yourdomain to go to freida@youraccount.plus.com

If yes, all you need to do is to set up two MAILBOXES (Deliver to a new mailbox with its own login and password) fred & freida in the Manage My Mail part of the user portal and point your domain addresses to the above.  Note however that you might not be able to send using the @yourdomain addresses.

Does your domain hosting provider not offer email hosting?  You might be better off just using their email services.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

wallofbeans
Dabbler

I've had another look at this and tried to create email addresses that I can use underneath my existing domains ones. But I can't make sense of how to do it. It all seems very confusing and I'd be very grateful if somebody could talk me through it.

To clarify, I have two domains I pay for but I just use them to have the personal email address - for example, me@mywebsite.co.uk.

I want to use the plusnet settings to collect emails sent to that email address. And what I've done previously is create an email with whichever provider I'm with - me@myplusnetaccount.net - and then gone to 123reg and added that email address into their system. And perhaps I then need to do similar with my account with Plusnet but I can't remember how I've done that previously.

I should then be able to use the Plusnet details to set up an email address on Outlook or Thunderbird etc, but instead of using the plusnet email (me@myplusnetaccount.net), I can use my me@mywebsite.co.uk email but otherwise all the Plusnet settings.

Does that make sense? How do I do it? Step by step help would be appreciated.

Thanks all!

wallofbeans
Dabbler

Hello @Townman 

I only saw your post after I sent my last one trying to explain what I want to do. Does that make it more clear?Huh

(I've done this for years and have always been able to send and receive email as normal, first with a ISP I can't remember the name of - f2s maybe?, and then with Plusnet when I was first with them, then with BT for the last couple of years, and now I'm back at Plusnet)

I've hardly ever even noticed that the ISP email addresses existed before this, and the same with Plusnet email addresses before that. I nevr gave anything but my domain email addresses out and so the ISP email addresses would just be hidden underneath working away.

And apologies, I wish I had the right language to explain what I want to do!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi,

The desire to use your@yourdoamin.me.uk is very understandable, however trying to do so using email forwarding from your domain registrar is (these days) fraught with issues.  But by all means try it.

You need to set up 'recipient' mailboxes on your Plusnet account.

This will give you MAILBOXES him@yourplusnetaccount.plus.com and her@yourplusnetaccount.plus.com

Then on your Reg-123 portal map

• him@yourdomain to him@yourplusnetaccount.plus.com
  • her@yourdomain to her@yourplusnetaccount.plus.com

In your email clients you will need to set up the inbound and out-bound to use the Plusnet servers with the user names yourplusnetaccount+him and yourplusnetaccount+her

You can set the email addresses up as him@yourdomain and her@yourdomain in the email settings on your client HOWEVER that is likely to cause issues with some receivers if they enforce SPF checking.  That might be mitigated by setting up a SPF record on your domain with 123-Reg.

Having your domain name provider not be your email provider and using email forwarding is far from ideal.  But it can be made to work up to a limited extent.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

wallofbeans
Dabbler

Thank you! 

Just trying this now. There seems to be a bug in the plusnet site though. I go to 'add new mailbox' and this page appears with a black square where I should be able to add a mailbox etc. I've tried this in Chrome and Safari and got the same thing both times.

https://imgur.com/a/IbXg3IR

Any ideas what is going on?

wallofbeans
Dabbler

I can instead 'create a new email address' from the 'summary' page. Is that the same thing?

And if so, what options do I choose? And what password do I use - the one for the email address I will forward or a different one?

wallofbeans
Dabbler

Weirdly, if I adjust the size of the browser window, the 'add new email' part of the screen that is missing sort of flashes in and out. And if I keep adjustng the size I can eventually get it to stay, but can't see it all as the black box still covers it in part.

This doesn't happen on any of the other tabs. It's so odd.

I'm still not sure if the password should be the same one used for the email address I'm forwarding to here...

wallofbeans
Dabbler

This isn't working. My email is now not getting emails I send myself. What am I doing wrong?

It just tells me "Sending of password for user ******* did not succeed. Mail server ******* responded: Login failed."

I followed the setting here:

https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/