Fixes: 253

Re: Email service to killed off permanently

A standard phrase in many contract T&Cs

John
MartynJF
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Will they at least warn us before pulling the plug or is this cluster**** the plug being pulled?

jab1
Legend

@MartynJF Unsubstantiated <your term here>.

John
CWatters
Grafter

This has to be a joke right? 

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

Topics on same subject merged.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Boz
Rising Star

Why don't they do what any good, honest company would do and ask their customers whether or not they want the Webmail service to continue?

Boz

jab1
Legend

Sorry @Boz but the claim in this topics title is unsubstantiated, and not worthy of consideration - IMHO.

John
Clangrant
Hooked

Can you please clarify your question. I found it a bit cryptic.

Thanks

jab1
Legend

@Clangrant IF that is aimed at me - simple question - what rank is your source?

John
Clangrant
Hooked

Funny you should query the rank of the source but I have found that PN will never pass you on to a higher level so my source was the customer service in the technical area.

After discussing matters my source volunteered that management had informed all staff at the start of  yesterdays morning shift. 

It fits in with responses I was getting in September from their "Advocacy" member who was quite categorical in advising that there was no intention of implementing any changes to alleviate all the web mail problems we have been experiencing in recent  year. 

I will follow up with this source when the person returns from leave next week. I am in no doubt it will confirm what I said in my first post.

jab1
Legend

OK - thanks for that, I will follow up with my sources within PN - which are a bit higher than 1st/2nd line support.

John
mikeb
Rising Star

@alandamore wrote:

..., and it says an email address (not "unlimited" email addresses, like what I have now),...

It's good to see that email does still actually get a mention somewhere.  I had a quick browse through the current PN offering and various Ts&Cs earlier but couldn't find any significant mention at all. At least not as a provided service, only as a means of contact. 

It could ultimately be claimed that what's meant here is just an internal jobbie for A/C admin purposes though rather than what we're all used to. More PM than true email. Sorry for being quite so negative and viewing with great suspicion and all that but much as I hope that it never happens, there surely has to be cost .vs. benefit case for dumping ancient badly maintained stuff that no one left at PN seems to understand too much about these days. Especially so given all the known problems, dubious history and with BT pulling all the strings !  TBH, I'm still somewhat amazed that it didn't disappear very soon after the fiasco of May 2007.

Just have to wait and see what (if anything) happens in due course. Here's hoping everything carries on as it is though ... well, apart from all the stupid problems which we can all live without anyway Smiley

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
Boz
Rising Star

Regardless of the source, the fundamental question now is: why has the Plusnet Webmail service been behaving so badly over the past few days?  If the answer is because they don't care any more, then a good, honest Yorkshire company should tell its customers the truth.

Boz

alandamore
Hooked

I think you're right, and it's going to go. Regarding your point about losing your landline number, you don't have to. Ofcom rules say you can port your landline number when you change providers. It's pretty hard to abuse the PN email, mine is capped at 1GByte mailbox size and the webspace to 250MBytes.

MFredericks
Dabbler

I'm not sure it's because they don't care! We will never know the exact reason, for exactly the same reason most Tech companies don't, but I'm sure it is technical in nature. If they could have fixed it quicker I am sure they would.