Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email reply fault - Solved

gtowen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Email reply fault - Solved

I've been trying to help someone on these forums and we have been having email problems, so I have just done a test.
Firstly I sent an email from my Plusnet email account to my gmail account which arrived no problem.
I then "replied" to that email (using the reply feature and not composing a new message) and this failed. I can provide the return email if necessary to trace the fault but this is from the return email.
Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain gtowen.plus.com by mx.avasin.plus.net. [212.159.9.200].
The error that the other server returned was:
550 Invalid Recipient username@username.plus.com

Ok just composed a new email from my gmail account and sent it to my Plusnet account and that failed..... and yet I've received emails from the forums about private messages so at a loss as to what is going on. Is the Plusnet email system a purely internal system lol
Anybody have an idea what is going on. I've replied to other emails sent to my gmail account with no problem so feel it must be something to do with Plusnets system.
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  email munged ]
10 REPLIES 10
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Email reply fault

Well that is odd. Not sure why server is giving you a 550 error. Can't think of anything to check at the moment, I might pop back if I think of something.
That's RPM to you!!
gtowen
Rising Star

Hmmm, a little disappointed, 54 views and only one reply and not from a PN rep Sad
Anyway I've just done another test from my Hotmail/Outlook account and that failed aswell, so it seems my Plusnet email account can send emails out to anyone, but can only receive emails from within the Plusnet Network, such as billing emails, replies to tickets and notifications of private messages on these forums. Any emails from outside cannot get through Sad
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The PN staff who post here work office hours Mon-Fri so won't see you post until Monday morning.
What email addresses do you see listed when you Email Settings|Manage My Mail in the Member Centre?
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=myemail
In my case I have the default username@username.plus.com as a mailbox and postmaster@username.plus.com as an alias for username@username.plus.com
gtowen
Rising Star

@pwatson hmmm ok you may have spotted an anomaly. The username is different in the email address. shown in the link you posted. I don't remember changing it at any time but must have.
I've sent an email to that address and it worked.
Ok problem solved, thank you pwatson for pointing me in the right direction .
it seems originally my email address was abcd@abcd.plus.com....... for some reason I can't remember I changed the username of the address in the member center to wxyz@abcd.plus.com. BUT any emails from that account were still been sent out as abcd@abcd.plus.com and as such any replies/or new messages sent to that address failed.
I've set the catch-all status to on for now and that seems to have sorted things out.
EDIT: ok it seems because of the time limit on making changes I cannot edit the topic heading to "solved".... could a kind mod change it for me please Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Email reply fault - Solved

Done
gtowen
Rising Star

Thank you Oldjim Smiley
pwatson
Rising Star

The From: address is set by the email client, not by the server - were you using Webmail or software on your PC?
gtowen
Rising Star

I was using the Plusnet webmail and gmail. At some time I had changed the username part of the email address in the Members section and as such the original address no longer existed. But sending emails from Plusnets webmail was still sending it out as the old address and so replies to emails originating from there would fail.
quentin2

solved my butt .... call center waiting is over 30 min and no reply to my ticket as freenetname webmail and email down and has been for last 5 days.....great service .....
pwatson
Rising Star

Quote from: gtowen
But sending emails from Plusnets webmail was still sending it out as the old address and so replies to emails originating from there would fail.

I suspect that the Webmail profile is created when the account is setup and then the systems aren't linked.  You can change the From: address in the Identities tab of Personal Settings.  You get to the same place by clicking on Edit Identities when you compose an email (Next to the drop down list of available addresses)