cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email problems

teamdb
Grafter

Email problems

I've posted previously about how I've found emails I send to organisations such as Garmin or Silverstone Circuits were never received, never got anywhere with that, however I've now found out, having received two letters from banking services claiming they'd tried to email me important updates but couldn't as it bounced back, they both suggest mailbox might be full, but between mine and my wifes they are well under the 1gb limit imposed.

12 REPLIES 12
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Email problems

With many e mail programmes there's an option to add a delivery receipt & / or read receipt; why not enable them?
Regards mail box limitations, if you used pop3 they'd download to your own local storage.
teamdb
Grafter

Delivery and Read receipts are no use when it's emails being sent to me that I'm not receiving

imap usage is well under 1gb

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

The use of POP3 will not address the fundamental issue of inbound mail not being accepted into the servers.

The best approach here is to ask your correspondents to report the issue direct to Plusnet, with examples of rejected emails.  Any information you can supply in their 'sending' email address and outbound server might be of some help to staff.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

teamdb
Grafter

Really... I don't think Barclaycard or Virgin Money are going to dedicate time to reporting an issue with Plusnets email

let alone any other individual, if plusnet can't determine why my email mailbox is causing inbound mail to bounce then there is some very very badly wrong somewhere....

pop3 vs imap are irrelevant i the issue at hand

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Yes, really.  They are the only party with the information needed to mount an investigation.  To track down an issue such as this, Plusnet will need to know...

1. The sender's email address
  2. The subject
  3. The date and time it was sent
  4. The 552 error rejection signature

These will be required to search the spam and antivirus processing logs.  Without such, your looking for a needle in a haystack.  That said, you've more change of finding the needle as you can use a magnet!

Plusnet have worked with many such organisations to investigate why inbound emails are rejected - the cause of such issues can fall equally on both sender and receiver.  Plusnet's spam filtering can be fairly aggressive, depending on what spam filtering settings you have configured under Manage my Email in the user portal.  There is an option to turn off email filtering.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

catjarmen
Dabbler

or the more pragmatic solution would be to see that Plusnet is the common factor in the bouncing and it is easier to just use a free Gmail account instead.  Much easier than a long term fight to get PN to get their flaky systems to work properly.

teamdb
Grafter

Agreed, I dispise gmail with a vengeance, however it would appear that Plusnet want to push users away from their products rather than proactively check why their email system is bouncing emails sent into their system.

I've highlight two examples from organisations whose telephone staff are unable to grasp the technical nature of my query, but there are potentially many more emails being bounced that I'm likely unaware of, thankfully in the instance of the financial ones they took the fall back option of sending me a letter (change of t&c's nothing bad thankfully) but I'd hate to miss something vitaly important...

FAILSAFE01
Rising Star

I was also contacted by my energy supplier saying emails were being bounced back , with a message saying that the server could be down or my mailbox full (which it isn't).

sallonoroff
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I didn't see this thread before starting my own but it sounds like we're suffering from the same / very similar thing.

I didn't realise we could turn off Plusnet's spam filtering altogether, so i've just done that to see if it makes any difference...

teamdb
Grafter

Yeah, it would seem to be the spam filtering config, specifically the move to automatically bin spam emails of a certain threshold rather than move to the spam folder, this appeared to occur without much fanfare, much like the removal of the help ticketing system from the main website...

I'm still waiting to see if my banking related emails come through, but I have seen a marked increase in emails with the [Spam] subject prefix that seemingly would have been binned instead of going to a 'quarantine' page with a link to review every day or so much like MS Exchange online (O365) system or spam folder

pozi
Dabbler

I have the same problem for inbound email which sometimes gets rejected by the over zealous Plusnet spam filter.

However if your outbound email is using a domain not hosted by Plusnet (ie you own domain name xyz.com hosted elsewhere and forwards incoming email to Plusnet) this might help because it is likely that your xyz.com domain name is failing the SPF lookup which is often used to determine junk email or not. I found Microsoft 365 mailboxes in particular are very sensitive to this.

Adding the Plus.net address as an SPF(TXT) entry to your domains DNS records will solve the problem, format as below.

v=spf1 include:plus.net ~all

If you are using a Plusnet hosted email address then ignore the above but it might help some other people Smiley 

sallonoroff
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I turned off the spam-filtering too but haven't seen any real change - for better, or worse!