cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email problems.

karen53C
Hooked

Email problems.

Confused and not very technically minded. Just set up my plusnet and gmail accounts on windows 10 computer. Normally  type in my name in the 'From' section and @outlook.com is added. For some reason this is being changed to

<outlook-7EB5A21F7B980F2D@ outlook.com> 

When an email is forwarded on to me I get the following message:

Microsoft outlook - undeliverable RE DM3NAM05FT036.mail.protection. Outlook.com rejected your message to the following address. (outlook7EB5A21F7B980F2D@outlook.com) a communication failure occured during delivery of this message. Please try to resend the message later. If the problem continues contact your email admin. 

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Email problems.

Sounds pretty bizarre, do you get the same issue if you type your full email address in the 'From' field rather than just your name?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

If you are trying to send from @outlook.com then that implies there’s more than just Plusnet and Gmail accounts configured.

Which email client are you using?

I have experienced this before but cannot recall the details. This might help - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/by2nam03ft005mailprotectionoutlookcom-reje...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

karen53C
Hooked

Hi Gandalf. This long line of letters and numbers <outlook-7EB5A21F7B980F2D@ outlook.com>  is not appearing in the address of outgoing emails now.

I have plusnet and gmail accounts on my computer and on my samsung phone. gmail seems ok.

I've tried several times to work through the 'How to set up plusnet email' but keep going round in circles.

I think the plusnet settings may be out of date. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The Plusnet details are fine.

What is odd is the suggestion that you are trying to send an email from an @outlook.com address ... which has nothing to do with Plusnet email setup.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

karen53C
Hooked

I've been with plusnet for quite a long time and never had any problems.

I recently got a new computer that i'm still finding my way around. I  set up gmail on it and on my phone with no problems and its working fine. I can send and recieve gmail ok on both. I already have plusnet on my phone. Emails are downloaded to my phone and I delete them from the server as necessary. 

The first plusnet emails I sent from my computer had a long line of Letters and numbers in the address as shown in the previous post. These letters and numbers dissapeared from my plusnet email address after a couple of days to be replaced with just my plusnet email address. Since then i've been trying to work out what i need to do to get plusnet emails working on my computer. 

Could settings need updating? Could my password need updating? Does the plusnet account need permission to sync to my computer?  Also is it possible for emails to be downloaded from the plusnet server onto my computer as well as my phone? 

If so what would I need to do to make that happen?

Any help greatly appreciated!!!

karen53C
Hooked

Doh!! Forgot to say i'm using the windows 10 email app.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Using the Win10 Email application (aka "poor man's outlook") might be the source of numerous issues ... it is not a friendly beast!

"Could settings need updating? Could my password need updating? Does the plusnet account need permission to sync to my computer?  Also is it possible for emails to be downloaded from the plusnet server onto my computer as well as my phone? 

If so what would I need to do to make that happen?"

The Win10 email program tries to be too smart and makes things more difficult.  You need to configure the client anually for Plusnet, using the standard Plusnet server settings.  The problem is that it is not obvious how to do that - MANUAL settings is not shown in the email type options - you need to scroll the options window down (no clear scroll bar) and select manual settings.

IMAP server imap.plus.net port 993 SSL

SMTP server relay.plus.net port 587 STARTTLS

account - for the default mailbox your plusnet account name - for seconday mailboxes plusnetaccount+mailboxname

karen53C
Hooked

Townman I tried, but failed to find the elusive manual setting section to enter the plusnet settings. 😢

Why do they make it so difficult!  At least now I have the plusnet settings if I do find it.

Thanks for helping me out.