cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email only account issues

Ijk571
Hooked

Email only account issues

Good evening, I left PN reluctantly on 10/02/2021 as I needed FTTP due to trying to home school and  working from home on my sub 14mb connection.

When I called up to cancel I took out the email only option so I could finish sorting addresses etc. It ended up looking like it was cut off as I had no more emails after 1am the next day.. I called up support and was advised it would not be reinstated until the 24th. Called again today and was told it was never off and gave us the pop3 settings for Thunderbird, which we already had. We tried a test email from a gmail account sent to the alias and that came back with with a 500 Invalid Recipient error - Address not found. It didn't work on the PN webmail site either when trying to sent out from the PN address. Although It looks like the alias was deleted and I've recreated it, it was my understanding that the postmaster@ was the catch-all address. So it does look like the service was stopped?

Does that mean all the emails that were sent in the mean time have been lost? 

After a phone call to PN who told us the service was never interrupted and I'd set the alias back, we had 3 emails to the alias come through, the one I'd sent to the main account so I don't know what's going on.

Apologies for the lengthy email. Any ideas please?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Email only account issues

Thanks for your post @Ijk571 

I'm sorry for the issues with your email. From what I can see the email address you want to keep was setup as a mailbox rather than an alias. Can you try deleting the alias and setting it up as a mailbox by going to manage my mail at plus.net/email?

I've also turned catch all on as it was switched off when your account was cancelled on the 17th and then reactivated on the 18th. Emails though that had bounced back with the error "500 Invalid Recipient error - Address not found" would have gone straight back to the sender and we wouldn't have a record of these unfortunately.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Ijk571
Hooked

Thanks for your prompt reply, unfortunate but that makes sense. I just wish I'd been told/advised that when cancelling as I'd have held off for a week or two otherwise.

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problem and apologies for the issues.

Let me know if there are further problems.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet