cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email on my apple devices

Rabbitsfoot

Email on my apple devices

I can receive emails but yesterday it wouldn’t let me send and it says cannot send the username or password for stroma@relay.plus.net is incorrect. I have not changed anything to make this happen but have tried to change the password with no success

4 REPLIES 4
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Email on my apple devices

@Rabbitsfoot Welcome to the Plusnet Community forums. Smiley

The username you mentioned is a mixture of (what I assume is) your Plusnet account username and the host name of the server used for sending emails. That is not correct. The username and password required here should be identical to those used for the incoming server which you mention works.

It would be worth checking the outgoing server settings again. What Apple device are you using?

David
Rabbitsfoot

Hi I am using an iPad and a MacBook. I also get mail on my iPhone.  I think I would like to just have my mail on the MacBook and my phone so if I delete the account from my iPad will that affect my account?  I am a force9 account and not Plusnet does that make difference to my settings?

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Email server settings for Force9 users are different from those for Plusnet users. For Force9 the servers are

Incoming IMAP imap.force9.net port 143
Incoming POP3 mail.force9.net port 110
Outgoing SMTP relay.force9.net port 587

SSL/TLS is not currently supported which usually means one has to wait for (and accept) two warning messages when setting email accounts up on iPad and iPhone. I am not sure what happens with a MacBook, I have a feeling that non-SSL/TLS might not be supported following recent operating system updates.

If you are using IMAP for incoming emails deleting an account from any device will not affect what is stored on the server. If using POP3 (not recommended when multiple devices are used to access emails) messages are downloaded to local storage on the device so account deletion requires more thought and planning.

For Force9 accounts your default email address wiil be of the form something@accountname.force9.co.uk. The username to access this is accountname.

David
Rabbitsfoot

Thanks I'll try this.