Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email on Blackberry

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Email on Blackberry

Just wondering if plusnet have a contacts, calenders sync option I could try to make up for Blackberries poor attempt  Huh
A little history.... Blackberry old legacy devices were second to none IMO for push email and contacts/calender sync using the Desktop Manager software. Since the new OS10 phones things have changed for the worse. Firstly BIS push email was finished in favour of standard email which checks for new mail every 15mins and the new desktop software is rubbish.
I use two blackberries, an old 9800 legacy device for site work (kept my BIS account with o2 on request) and the new Z10 on BB10. So far the only way I can keep the two phones and my outlook client in sync with my co.uk email address hosted by PN is to use an outlook.com account for syncing contacts and calender. Unfortunately the old 9800 only handles contacts over activesync not calender.
My workaround, which is a right royal PITA is to have two calenders in outlook which I have to copy over all the outlook entries over to the local calender then sync the local calender with my 9800 over USB so that my upcoming calender events will show up in my notifications bar on the phone. Outlook will send an email reminder to the phone but it just has an heading without notes. I would then have to access the mail account via the browser to see the details of the appointment. The phone being oldish doesn't handle the page too well though  Sad
The last week or so the BB10 device can now handle IMAP after an update and the 9800 always could, yes, that's right Blackberry actually took a leap backwards IMO. Hopefully whoever buys the company in November will get it back to where it should be. I digress  Smiley
Could using IMAP have the answer to my problems?
4 REPLIES 4
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Email on Blackberry

Quote from: AverageWhiteBloke
Just wondering if plusnet have a contacts, calenders sync option I could try to make up for Blackberries poor attempt  Huh

Our Webmail platform has a calendar but it doesn't support synchronisation. Do blackberry's play nice with Google calendar? Wondering whether or not you can do something clever there.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Do blackberry's play nice with Google calendar?

Apparently so. I thought Google stopped calender sync unless you had it already? The outlook sync seems to work fine as well it's just the old 9800 that's letting it down. The Calender in the Z10 works these days (didn't on release) with outlook. I use two computers, one at work and one at home. Ideally, I would plugin the phone and it would just keep all in sync, the problem is when you create a calender entry on the phone you have to assign an account. IE, Work computer entry would then sync with work pc but when I get home it would only sync any entries created under home so I have to have two instances on the phone to work properly which seems crazy to me.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Quote from: Bob
[Our Webmail platform has a calendar but it doesn't support synchronisation.

Hi Bob,
Is this a feature which we might see sometime in the future please?
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Don't believe there's any plans for anything like that I'm afraid.