Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email on Adroid Phone

FIXED
RayG1
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

Email on Adroid Phone

I've been trying to set up my Plusnet email (using MS Outlook) on my android phone (not a Plusnet phone) without success. I've tried using the procedure noted on this forum to no avail. However, I have noted that within Outlook the may be an avenue. From the File menu via Options and Mobile there is an option to 'Forward emails to your mobile phone. There then follows a dialog box asking for Service Provider URL - User ID and Password. That's where I got stuck. I tried the obvious one: www.plusnet.com butm when I input the other info it said connection could not be made. I'm guessing that www.plusnet.com is incorrect. Has anyone tried this method of connection and, if so, what would the correct url be?

Here's hoping.

Ray

11 REPLIES 11
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Email on Adroid Phone

Hi Ray,

I'm unsure how you'd setup Outlook to forward your emails to your Android phone or what the service provider URL could be referring to. Have you tried setting up the account directly on your smart phone using the below details?

Username: Account username
Password: Your account password

IMAP server: imap.plus.net  
IMAP server port:</b> 143

SMTP Outgoing mail server: relay.plus.net  
SMTP Outgoing mail server port: 587

SSL: Off for both incoming and outgoing

If you're still having issues, you could try using a virtual app to guide you through the process.

Let us know how you get on.

Anoush.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RayG1
Dabbler

Hi Anoush

Thanks for your response. I've only been able to find two ways of (potentially) getting my emails on my android phone: one is to download and set up the Outlook app - which I've tried without success. The other is to log into the GMail app and setting up your account there. I see that there is a procedure on the Forum for doing that by Michelle. That didn't work for me either. After setting it up i received a message saying the app could not connect with the server. When I've tried to setup using the Outlook app it keeps asking me for passwords for the incoming and outgoing servers. I spoke with the Plusnet Chat team who advised me that passwords are not needed.

Using the procedure you have suggested, which app would I use?

Regards

Ray

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Ray,

It is really frustrating that sometimes the advice from front line support is so bad. Three key points come to mind here.

1. The inbound server ALWAYS requires mailbox username and password
2. If not connecting over the plusnet network (for example 4g mobile) then the mailbox username and password are always required for the SMTP sever
3. If it not the default email box you are trying to access, then the username is plusnetaccountname+mailboxname

Note that PN mail servers do not support auto configuration so you'll need to force outlook into manual IMAP configuration mode. Shame it's not an iPhone they are so simple to set up. Does your android not have a built in email app?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @RayG1,

I'm sorry to say the outlook app has not been compatible with plusnet emails for some time:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Outlook-IMAP-on-Android/m-p/1300860#M14877

bobpullen wrote:
Not possible I'm afraid until we begin supporting SSL/TLS. The Android Outlook app was recently updated to only accept secured connections.

I have however just deleted my pop3 mail setup on the gmail app on my phone for my plusnet email address and re-added it as imap.

Could you advise which stage you run in issues when trying to set imap up on the gmail app please

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
RayG1
Dabbler

Hi HarryB

Thanks for the response. Here's hoping PN will start supporting the Outlook app in the near future rather than distant.

My procedure for trying to setup my GMail app is:

Open GMail

Add account - Personal (IMAP)

Add your email address - email address entered - click Next

Manual Setup - Next

Password - password added  - click Next

Next screen shows Incoming server settings as follows:

Username - [Removed], Password - my password, Server - [Removed]

Click Next

the next screen shows the same Incoming server settings but underneath the title and my username, in red, it says 'Couldn't open connection to server'.

That's as far as I get.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from a public forum to an area that staff can see.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Fix
When it asks for the server, you'll need to change that to imap.plus.net

It should try to connect then tell you the server won't suppose TLS/SSL at which point you'll be able to change this option to zero

After that it will go through the same for the outbound server, you'll need to change the outbound server to relay.plus.net

I hope this helps.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
RayG1
Dabbler

Thank you! I finally got there. Previously when the app came up with the server identified as my email address I didn't realise that I could click on it and change it.

Many thanks for the patience and solution suggestions.

Much appreciated

Ray

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): I have changed the fix to @HarryB as per message #7.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Glad to hear that sorted it Ray.

Thanks for letting us know Thumbs_Up

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

every Android phone i've set up has a generic App for e-mail that comes with the phone. and the help page here refers to that https://www.plus.net/help/archive/email/android-setup/?supportarchive. No need to download an app!

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@PeterLoftus - Neither of my recent android phones had the generic mail app.

My last phone (Oneplus 2) and the phone I got recently (Oneplus 5) both came with gmail as the standard mail client app.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet