cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email not received since Thursday 4th March

kmo67
Hooked

Email not received since Thursday 4th March

None of the email boxes in my account have been able to send or receive messages since Thursday 3rd March. I rang support and was told that this was a general problem being exhibited by all users and that the plus net team are working on resolving the issue. However, there appears to be no posts in the forums, nor any issues flagged on the service status page.  Is this really affected all accounts ? Regardless, 2 days for an email outage is not acceptable. Hoping this gets resolved soon and / or more information is forthcoming. 

10 REPLIES 10
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Email not received since Thursday 4th March

@kmo67 are you sending via webmail or a client? Irrespective, if that was what you were told, it is incorrect, because if it wasn't there would be a flood of complaints. IF there was such an outage, depending on what it was, it may have taken 2 days (or longer) to resolve.

BTW - you posted on the wrong board - I have requested this topic be moved to the correct one.

John
kmo67
Hooked

Thanks for the reply and helping to move this to the right board.   The problem occurs on all mail clients - webmail, mac and iphone.  Only mail until last Thursday is shown.  When i send an email to my plusnet email from my works email client and account, i get a Mail Delivery Fail message email back with the error "reason: 550 Plusnet: REJECTED: Relay not permitted. <my email address? User unknown. 

jab1
Legend

To me, that sounds like your email address has been corrupted somehow. Unfortunately, I am not an expert in the field, but I will try tagging someone who may have a better idea.

@MisterW  - any thoughts?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

When i send an email to my plusnet email from my works email client and account, i get a Mail Delivery Fail message email back with the error "reason: 550 Plusnet: REJECTED: Relay not permitted. <my email address? User unknown. 

@kmo67 that sounds like you are not using authentication for the outgoing server. When not sending from a PlusNet connection, then you must use authentication.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Didn't spot that, @MisterW .Embarrassed

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@kmo67 from what I can see the error you're getting indicates you're using a mail client. We've had a response on the task that an adviser's raised to say that we'd need email headers from you for us to investigate further. Can you try sending an email to yourself from webmail.plus.net first though?

[edit]

Reading what you've said here again, what outgoing server is your work email address using?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
kmo67
Hooked

Thank you for your help. 

I tried sending a message to myself via webmail.plus.net. I got a brief message to say that the message had been sent, but did not receive it. Second, i used my gmail webmail account to send my plus net mail a message and got the same error as i reported previously when i tried from my works account...This is the message, but that i have edited to remove my actual email address from this post ( i can confirm it was correct in the message) and also the domain name ( which was also correct).  We have made no changes to our mail settings and all of the mailboxes in my account seem to be affected. 

Reporting-MTA: dns; googlemail.com
Arrival-Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2021 05:40:15 -0800 (PST)
X-Original-Message-ID: <CAFU5Sgs1-_PACjmPiy7PSthbVSm56Gx0EimsKBKivV=24HXmiA@mail.gmail.com>

Final-Recipient: rfc822; <my email>
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mx.core.plus.net. (212.159.8.1, the server for the domain kmo****.plus.com.)
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 Plusnet: REJECTED: Relay not permitted
Last-Attempt-Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2021 05:40:15 -0800 (PST)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @kmo67 

I've tried sending an email to your email address and I'm getting a bounce back too.

Your message to [redacted your email address] couldn't be delivered.

[redacted my email address] is not authorized to relay messages through the server that reported this error.

I've raised this with our NetOps team for further investigation.

I'll post back as soon as I know more, this will be early next week.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Email

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@kmo67 Looks like something was broken on the backend, because I decided to 'refresh the mailbox component' on your account at 14:07 last Sunday and at that precise moment we can see you've started receiving emails again. I've sent a test email to you and I've not had a bounceback, so I assume it's been delivered.

Let me know if there are further issues or anything else you'd need help with.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet