cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email not connecting to server.... AGAIN

kdiment
Rising Star

Re: Email not connecting to server.... AGAIN

I too noticed that the problem began for me immediately after the MS updates were installed. I doubt very much that the updates could have affected the working of Thunderbird or anything else on my system that could give rise to these problems. That did, however, make me wonder whether any PN machines involved in POP3 mail collection had also been updated with the same MS updates and were no longer working as required.

nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

@kdiment

I did the MS updates yesterday at about 8.45am but the problem didn't appear until around 6pm for me.

kdiment
Rising Star

More relevant might be the time any PN machines had the MS updates installed.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Plusnet are unlikely to use Windows on their email platforms.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

@Townman

At the time of posting it wasn't showing up on the RSS feed which is what I rely on

nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

@Oldjim

And I use the email status alert email address from the usergroup. It didn't appear on there either. All that seems to do is advertise routine weekend BT maintenance.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Looks like it got 'fixed' - only to fall over again!

John
Anneyc
Dabbler

Pop3.plus.net is working again jus now... for how long?Huh

shalom2010
Grafter

mail.plus.net working again here

Nick2017
Dabbler

Not working here again/still - no pick ups since yesterday.

SLH

Same here on my iMac via Mail, got a couple of random connections and a couple of Emails then back to square one, no POP connection. Most annoying as I use it for work too from home.

Random observation, (just happened) when I first run Mail and the first connection is tried it occasionally it connects to the odd account and down loads messages... then promptly falls over for rest of time completely when mail is checked subsequently.

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note:

Post #39 merged from another thread.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

IanmacPN
Dabbler

Thanks for your post, saved me waiting 30 mins on the phone to plusnet.

I too suffered this problem a few weeks ago and have just spent some considerable time checking my Thunderbird installation on my PC and Laptop.

As a longstanding customer I am now questioning why I stay with Plusnet.

They dont seem to have failsafe engineering in place and I question if they care about their customers

Do they read this forum or is it just cosmetic?

Plusnet - Whats up this time ?Huh

borderpath
Dabbler

Slight improvement since my Wednesday posting (18) in that I can now successfully substitute 212.159.9.81 on incoming server within OE Classic client, otherwise nothing would be available on 5 accounts.

Strange thing is that my other half, using an identical desktop (with same MS updates) and in the same room (neither of us using WiFi) has not had any problems with both her accounts this time around. Seemingly very selective as to who gets clobbered.  

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

"Who gets clobbered" - it is not a personalised problem.  It is simply a matter of what routing and individual device gets.  Where there is more than one IP address for a service to resolve to and thereafter multiple connection routes to that address it is likely that different devices will have different connection experiences.  Especially if they run different a OS.  Anyone recall the Win8 onwards IP spoofing issue with the TG587n routers?  Some devices on the same network worked whilst others failed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.