Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email not connecting to server.... AGAIN

nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Re: Email not connecting to server.... AGAIN

@Nick2017

Post 24 says what is happening, none of them are from Plusnet. Which is a shame really, but you don't have to believe us!

Nick2017
Dabbler

"Anyway, I have reported it via support and they weren't aware of a problem."

It's not that I don't believe you, I'd like to see an answer from Plusnet mods - how surprising they're not on this thread?

Mav
Fixes: 514

@Nick2017

Moderators are customers like yourself with no access to Plusnet systems.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

LouisaMartin
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Guys

We know some customers are having problems when they're trying to use a client to pick up their mail e.g. Outlook or Thunderbird.

Our team are investigating this as a matter of urgency and we’ll keep you updated

Thanks
Louisa

Louisa
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

so why hasn't a service status been issued

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Jim,

It has - https://community.plus.net/t5/Service-Status/Mail-Collection-Issues/m-p/1491723#M247

Have kicked this one around within the SU space - it is under investigation - there is no clear evidence that it is the same as the previous load balancer issues.  So though the consequences appear to be the same, it does not mean that the cause is the same - that is the previous fix has failed (again).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TrevorG
Hooked

I see there is now a msg on the email service status.

nozzer
Hero

@LouisaMartin

I use neither of those email clients but I'm having problems. I think what you mean is ..

We know some customers are having problems when they're trying to use a client to pick up their mail e.g. Outlook or Thunderbird. 

i.e. means "that is", e.g. means "for example".

Addtenman
Grafter

Re: Plusnet's Status Page.

FWIW:
Started getting the error message again today:
Failed to login to server "mail.plus.net" for your Plusnet account

nozzer
Hero

@Townman

Might be worth someone having a look at the history of this rather than treating it as a one-off. Either 212.159.8.81 or 212.159.9.81 has been apparently refusing to accept incoming on occasions for the last fours months. There should be some kind of "randomizer" before both of those which randomly routes traffic to one or the other. The fact that it's apparently been both of these addresses that seem have been playing up to me means that it's the "traffic randomizer" that selects either that may not be passing traffic from itself to the server.

Just a thought.

TrevorG
Hooked

Don't know if it is relevant but I have 2 desktops (both the same). Yesterday mine had the email client problem after several Microsoft updates were installed (worked before). The other machine was fine. This morning the other machine had the Microsoft updates installed and now has the same problem with not being able to connect with mail.plus.net. Maybe just a co-incidence or maybe the problem arose because the machine was switched off last night and turned on again this morning so trying to establish a new email connection.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@nozzer

That's a fair thought, but is presumes that THIS problem is the same as the previous problem.  There is a lot of technology between a user and the target service ... having a multiplicity of routing options both BEFORE and AFTER reaching the world of Plusnet.

Whilst symptoms may appear to end users as being the same from issue instance to issue instance, that is no assurance that they all have the same cause. Wink

That said the choice of which IP address to use is made by the user environment.  DNS resolution might deliver more than one IP address for a URL - which one the client opts to use is not within the Plusnet domain to control.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

busylizzie
Grafter
Fixes: 2

True. The problem appears to be with the access method (POP3) rather than any particular client. I use Pegasus.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Semantics: it is not the method, but rather the route to the service.

LouisaMartin
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

You are correct @nozzer and as such, I have amended the update to reflect this

Louisa