penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Email not connecting to server.... AGAIN

Very odd. Wonder how long it will take to fix this time
TrevorG
Hooked

Not working for me either. Also tried ip address of 212.159.8.81 but no luck.

borderpath
Dabbler

We're also PN users who had serious problems a few weeks ago but find that this evening all half dozen addresses are being marked as timed out i.e. wholly unresponsive. This is generally after around 20 seconds even though set up as a minute.

Last time's "fix" of switching to 212.159.8.81 doesn't hack it this time around. Very disappointed after having been with PN a good number of years but recently feel like I'm with an ISP of ill-repute. 

Nothing to do with W10 Patch Tuesday update from earlier today I suppose?

BrianEllsmore
Dabbler

And there was me thinking that dear old Thunderbird had fallen over. Should have more faith. But glad it isn't just me but not glad if you see what I mean.

Pok

Thought I was the only one with this problem. Good to see I'm not hope it gets sorted soon.

itbookworm
Grafter

It was the server at 212.159.9.81 that didn't work last time and this time it is 212.159.8.81 (which work ok before) that isn't working this time Angry

nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

So....   no progress at all yet! And what's more to the point, NO SERVICE STATUS ANNOUNCEMENTS! AGAIN! (Mod: Please leave CAPS this time, they really are necessary!).

How many times do we have to endure this? It's getting way beyond a joke now. As @itbookworm says it's 212.159.8.81 that's not working. For those who aren't sure how to temporarily fix it, in your email client settings change mail.plus.net to 212.159.9.81.

Socket Error: 10060, Port: 110, Protocol: POP.A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Ticked_off

shalom2010
Grafter

212.159.9.81 works for me, fine. Is there any logical reason why I cannot just keep that server rather than change it back to mail.plus.net ??  (Unless of course it is also unreliable!)

nozzer
Hero

@shalom2010

Yes there is, This server has also been faulty and other one mentioned has also and you can't guarantee that that will be working either. Leaving it set to mail.plus.net automatically chooses the server at random so some people will get through some of the time and others not all, according to which one is encountered first. If they are both working properly you wouldn't notice anything. The servers in front of mail.plus.net are essentially load-balancing servers. 

Anyway, I have reported it via support and they weren't aware of a problem. If it was picked up and posted in the Status page they could then be kept informed and do something about it. A management issue that need addressing urgently! It might reduce the load on the Support staff a lot if the Status page was kept up to date and the likes of us were kept informed. Rant rant rant rant rant!

Nick2017
Dabbler

Is ANYONE from Plusnet actually taking notice of this thread?!

Still can't download my emails, what a rubbish service.

FF101
Dabbler

One of the IP addresses stopped working on both phone and laptop.   nail.plus.net started working on laptop but not phone.  Now stopped again on both.

212.159.9.81 now working on both (for the moment anyway).

nozzer
Hero

@FF101  @Nick2017

Have you actually read any of what precedes your post?

PeterSoul
Grafter

Just to report that for the last hour at least, my (OEClassic) client has been downloading from (I assume) mail.plus.net, every time.  Are we being reconnected one by one? ?

nozzer
Hero

@PeterSoul

It's more likely that you have been lucky to connect to the server that's working (see explanation above). mail.plus.net still doesn't work for most of the time..

Nick2017
Dabbler

Yes. But which of them say what is happening and is from Plusnet?